Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Customer wants to synchronize Office and E-mail files. Any help please

This customer is using now two workstations, peer-to-peer, each with W7 professional. They are using LibreOffice for text processing and Thunderbird POP3 for their e-mails. Data is being synchronized the end of the day by using FreefileSync. Which is not comfortable but they are happy with and it does the job keeping at the and of the day the files at the same level.

However, now they want a 3rd workstation out of the building and matters are getting complicated for me. We could synchronize the E-Mail traffic by using IMAP instead of POP3 but I would love to know if there are more sophisticated solutions for doing that. The larger problem is however the "Office" files from LibreOffice. How to synchronize these via the Internet? Would something like Dropbox or a VPN connection be the solution? I know to hook up computers with our MFP's, can install Windows, can fiddling with routers and switches etc. but regarding anything "server-like" I'm a total noob. Any ideas and help please?

Thanks!

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Customer wants to synchronize Office and E-mail files. Any help please

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    This customer is using now two workstations, peer-to-peer, each with W7 professional. They are using LibreOffice for text processing and Thunderbird POP3 for their e-mails. Data is being synchronized the end of the day by using FreefileSync. Which is not comfortable but they are happy with and it does the job keeping at the and of the day the files at the same level.

However, now they want a 3rd workstation out of the building and matters are getting complicated for me. We could synchronize the E-Mail traffic by using IMAP instead of POP3 but I would love to know if there are more sophisticated solutions for doing that. The larger problem is however the "Office" files from LibreOffice. How to synchronize these via the Internet? Would something like Dropbox or a VPN connection be the solution? I know to hook up computers with our MFP's, can install Windows, can fiddling with routers and switches etc. but regarding anything "server-like" I'm a total noob. Any ideas and help please?

Thanks!

Hans
    -IMAP for syncing e-mail.
    -FreeFileSync for syncing files on the local area network.
    -Google Drive with local sync program for cloud sync.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Technician

Re: Customer wants to synchronize Office and E-mail files. Any help please

Personally i'd go for IMAP email, use an AD server with folder redirection for local sync, then use nextcloud with the SMB module enabled for remote sync.