Xerox SMB Scanning DNS/SMD errors

Hello everyone!

I've encountered an odd issue setting up scan to SMB for a specific laptop on a customer's site. The other devices are being scanned to just fine.

The source device is a CM405. It has their gateway as the DNS server. All working destination addresses are using hostnames, rather than IP address.

I'm trying to set up another laptop to scan to, but regardless of what I do, the CM405 can't scan to this device. Here's what I'm getting:

If I tell the CM405 to scan to the hostname, I get a 031-526 DNS Error, indicating the name can't be resolved.
    If I tell the CM405 to scan to the IP address, I get a 031-528 SMB error, indicating that the laptop cannot be seen.

I've tried setting the laptop to obtain the DNS server automatically, I've tried setting it manually. I've double checked the laptop is on the same network. I've checked the share name of the folder. None of these devices are joined to a domain. I have also tried flushing, releasing and renewing the dns/ip cache without any success.

The only different thing about this laptop is it is the ONLY Win10 device on site. the rest are 7, or 8.1.

Anyone got any ideas, or should I pass this to their IT support?

Cheers,

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Xerox SMB Scanning DNS/SMD errors

Quote Originally Posted by Phrag View Post
    Hello everyone!
    I've encountered an odd issue setting up scan to SMB for a specific laptop on a customer's site. The other devices are being scanned to just fine.
    The source device is a CM405. It has their gateway as the DNS server. All working destination addresses are using hostnames, rather than IP address.
    I'm trying to set up another laptop to scan to, but regardless of what I do, the CM405 can't scan to this device. Here's what I'm getting:

If I tell the CM405 to scan to the hostname, I get a 031-526 DNS Error, indicating the name can't be resolved.
    If I tell the CM405 to scan to the IP address, I get a 031-528 SMB error, indicating that the laptop cannot be seen.

I've tried setting the laptop to obtain the DNS server automatically, I've tried setting it manually. I've double checked the laptop is on the same network. I've checked the share name of the folder. None of these devices are joined to a domain. I have also tried flushing, releasing and renewing the dns/ip cache without any success.

The only different thing about this laptop is it is the ONLY Win10 device on site. the rest are 7, or 8.1.

Cheers,
    sounds like you have an SMB1 issue .. Win10 BLOCKS SM1..update )if you can to newest Copier firmware.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Hello everyone!

Cheers,
    Since you say this laptop is Win10, did you check to make sure the computer[laptop] is discoverable on the network? Had a few cases where the OS was upgraded to win10 only to find out that the computer was in a non-discoverable mode. It must be able to be discovered on the network otherwise the scanning with SMB will not work.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Hello everyone!

Cheers,
    Make sure laptop network status is set to home/business/private and NOT PUBLIC!!!...public status shitcans all incoming connections!!! Also, if this doesn't work, go into programs and features and enable SMB V1 to see if that works. Xerox SMB Scanning DNS/SMD errors

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Thanks for the replies.

I did check and make sure it's on Private instead of public. I have run across a lot of those being in issue in the past. I will, however, check if SMB V1 is enabled or not.

I will double check its discoverable status as well, although I'm pretty sure I made sure it was set to on in the Network/Sharing Centre when I made told it the network was a private connection.

Firmware I'll hit last after those settings for sure.

Cheers guys! I'll let you know how I go.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

M$ squeezed out 2 patches that may stop SMB scanning back on the 8th.
    have a read.
    Network issues with updates KB4480970 and KB4480960 | Born's Tech and Windows World
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    M$ squeezed out 2 patches that may stop SMB scanning back on the 8th.
    have a read.
    Network issues with updates KB4480970 and KB4480960 | Born's Tech and Windows World
    Those wouldn't affect Windows 10, only Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2.

Sorry for he delay,

In this case, updating the firmware for the CM405 to 2018 has resolved the issue.

Edit: I have come across a similar thing with a C227 today on a win7 PC, so i'll be checking out that link on SMB fixes Synth, cheers.
    Last edited by Phrag; 01-14-2019 at 02:34 AM.