Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

The Handle is invalid

Hi,

Users randomly gets the error "the handle is invalid". It is a shared printer BTW, and if affected user tries to login to a different pc, it works. Printer is installed thru GP. Been searching articles on the internet and is pointing to outdated printer drivers. The server is 2012 R2 with full updates, PCL driver has been updated as well. I'm trying to convince the IT to create a new Print server since it is a VM and is easy for them to create it but the gents doesn't want to buy my reason.
    Has anybody faced the same error before? How'd you fixed it?
    Untitled.jpg
    TIA
    Aye! Cut the crap

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Re: The Handle is invalid

While i personally have never seen this error. I can tell you that I've seen alot of funky printer driver issues solely because of a bad port setting. Even though it's PCL6 the port is under a hostname, or wsd. Id double check to make sure that its under standard tcp/ip.

My two cents.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JLSam View Post
    While i personally have never seen this error. I can tell you that I've seen alot of funky printer driver issues solely because of a bad port setting. Even though it's PCL6 the port is under a hostname, or wsd. Id double check to make sure that its under standard tcp/ip.

My two cents.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your input, we make sure that WSD is disabled as part of our installation checklist. Aside from that, printing directly from the PC using TCP/IP (local printer installation) works fine.
    Aye! Cut the crap

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Didn't see it personally, but you may want to check last post about rendering print jobs of this thread:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...winserverprint
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

"Invalid Handle" sounds like a server O/S fault.
    A thread message sent inside the operating system software did not link to allocated thread/window.

A stab in the dark. I'd check the O/S is not getting memory allocation errors coming from RAM chip dynamic hardware fault.

Maybe a server Operating System reset?
    Reinstall the printer drivers...?
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    The Handle is invalid

Quote Originally Posted by keithxxiii View Post
    Thanks for your input, we make sure that WSD is disabled as part of our installation checklist. Aside from that, printing directly from the PC using TCP/IP (local printer installation) works fine.
    Since you state that installing the print driver locally to the unit works fine, the driver setup on the server is the problem. Had a situation two days ago on a new install for a customer with 200+ of our units that would not print envelopes, everything else printed fine, printing envelopes from a local install of the driver to the unit worked. It took two hours and attaching a new test unit to convince the network IT people their network print queue was the problem. If a local install of the print driver works it points directly to the network print driver installation.

Just an update guys,

IT has assigned a new Print Server, which then will be the same hostname and IP. I just exported the printers and restored to the new server. It seems to be working fine now since it has been running for more than 5 days without reported issue.
    I still would want to know where the problem is coming from but i leave it to the IT.
    anyways, thanks for all your inputs.
    Aye! Cut the crap