Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Customer question... Why do I get all the "Fun" ones??

Hey Campers,

We've got a potential customer, but we're having to overcome some "smoke and mirrors" from another salesman. He's got the client convinced that "THEY" have a program on their copiers that will allow you to scan a PDF and edit it right AT the machine before you ever send it!!

Unless he's using an eCopy Scan Station or something along those lines, I can't think of a single embedded app for a copier that will allow you to edit a PDF right on the copier!! I know if you scan using OCR, you can use Adobe Acrobat, Nuance Power PDF, Foxit Phantom, etc. to edit a document once you have it on your computer.

Either the sales guy is blowing smoke, or something has come out recently that I missed out on.

Any insight?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Customer question... Why do I get all the "Fun" ones??

Somebodies terminology must be misunderstood. I agree with you that there is not any software that I'm aware of that allows editing at the copier. The closest I know would be Bates stamp and naming the file.

Quote Originally Posted by mincopier View Post
    Somebodies terminology must be misunderstood. I agree with you that there is not any software that I'm aware of that allows editing at the copier. The closest I know would be Bates stamp and naming the file.

Exactly!! I can't tell you how many times I need to walk back a description of some "Fantastical Futuristic Feature" the copier is SUPPOSED to have...

(But.... The salesman said...)

once I deliver it. Sales guys just want the sale... they don't give a fat fiddler's fanny what the techs have to deal with once the customer has it.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    Exactly!! I can't tell you how many times I need to walk back a description of some "Fantastical Futuristic Feature" the copier is SUPPOSED to have... (But.... The salesman said...) once I deliver it. Sales guys just want the sale... they don't give a fat fiddler's fanny what the techs have to deal with once the customer has it.
    All the years in the industry (comps/print/copiers) I have learned this:

1) sales men and women LIE.
    2) Customers lie about how /who broke it.
    3) Techs are responsible to make the Sales lies become truth.
    4) Techs are supposed to be lie-detectors - mind readers and soft shoulders when it comes to customers.. and DESPITE what the old adage is ........... " The Customer IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT!"

Hey Campers,

We've got a potential customer, but we're having to overcome some "smoke and mirrors" from another salesman. He's got the client convinced that "THEY" have a program on their copiers that will allow you to scan a PDF and edit it right AT the machine before you ever send it!!

Unless he's using an eCopy Scan Station or something along those lines, I can't think of a single embedded app for a copier that will allow you to edit a PDF right on the copier!! I know if you scan using OCR, you can use Adobe Acrobat, Nuance Power PDF, Foxit Phantom, etc. to edit a document once you have it on your computer.

Either the sales guy is blowing smoke, or something has come out recently that I missed out on.

Any insight?
    An MFP is nothing more than an input portal. The document that issues forth from said MFP input portal will be at most, regardless of manufacturer, a PDF which has been OCR'd, and allows highlighting of scanned text which is either a real or substituted font type or a scanned text image of the document which is overlayed with an invisible yet highlightable text which can also be highlighted & copied. The requirements of a PDF are that it is secure, cross-platform & non-editable, which is a requirement for the PDF archival format. If the customer asks, just refer them to the PDF-A definition:

PDF/A - Wikipedia

Sounds like the customer needs to stick it to the salesperson for absolute clarification & definition!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Agree salesman will say anything to sell a copier. A perfect example is a recent post here about an ADF that was set on fire. Wouldn't surprise me if the salesman told the customer you could barbeque on top of copier

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Agree salesman will say anything to sell a copier. A perfect example is a recent post here about an ADF that was set on fire. Wouldn't surprise me if the salesman told the customer you could barbeque on top of copier
    Customer question... Why do I get all the "Fun" ones??Customer question... Why do I get all the "Fun" ones??Customer question... Why do I get all the "Fun" ones??...EPIC!!!...HALOGEN LAMP BAR-B-Q!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Hey Campers,

Any insight?
    I think the word “edit” needs to be defined.

It can can mean anything from file naming to text substitution.

Even if the copier could do in-depth editing (which none can), who would want to deal with the screen and control panel of a copier compared to that of a PC?
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

More info is needed. Let's not act like this are analogue machines. Solutions such as the "Konica Minolta Marketplace" in many ways turns your control panel into a tablet. Editing a PDF doesn't seem so far-fetched.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

As you suggested I think the salesman is referring to OCR, that document can then be edited at the PC.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk