Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

RJ-45 loopback tool

I've seen the videos, etc. You know the ones where they plug the tool into a switch, laptop etc and the connection light turns on. I thought this would be a cool tool for troubleshooting copier network connections also. Currently this is how I do it. No connect light on copier nic, unplug from network and connect copier and laptop with a crossover or patch cable. Got light, prove to customer network issue, bye-bye.

I see you can order on Eb@y, etc or make your own by hooking pins 1-3 and 2-6 on RJ-45 blank connector. I've tried to make my own, no soup for me. Didn't work on copier or laptop. I have also tried doing the gigabit one connecting the rest of pins. Same did not work.

Does anyone use these? Do they actually work? Should I buy rather than make my own? I saw one other thread on this subject in the forum. And the writer says it works fine by making your own.

Does anyone use these?
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: RJ-45 loopback tool

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    I've seen the videos, etc. You know the ones where they plug the tool into a switch, laptop etc and the connection light turns on. I thought this would be a cool tool for troubleshooting copier network connections also. Currently this is how I do it. No connect light on copier nic, unplug from network and connect copier and laptop with a crossover or patch cable. Got light, prove to customer network issue, bye-bye.

I see you can order on Eb@y, etc or make your own by hooking pins 1-3 and 2-6 on RJ-45 blank connector. I've tried to make my own, no soup for me. Didn't work on copier or laptop. I have also tried doing the gigabit one connecting the rest of pins. Same did not work.

Does anyone use these? Do they actually work? Should I buy rather than make my own? I saw one other thread on this subject in the forum. And the writer says it works fine by making your own.

Does anyone use these?
    Do you know the exact pinouts??? Does pinouts.ru have a diagram???RJ-45 loopback tool

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

I... Have an easier method.

Using a crossover cable i tether my copier and laptop. Put them in the same ip range, and set up printing and smb scanning. Thus proving network ability.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Connecting your laptop to the copier should be enough to prove the fault is with the network. Leave the network troubleshooting to the customers IT and move onto the next job.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts tjvincent's Avatar

And then charge them something for wasting your time.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

I connect the printer normally with any ethernet cable to my laptop.

If I need internet access, on Windows I create a bridge between the wireless card and the network card. Then I start tethering on my smartphone.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tjvincent View Post
    And then charge them something for wasting your time.
    Naturally. Slap on travel fee for good measure. RJ-45 loopback tool

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Here is link to one online comes to about $10 after shipping

Gigabit RJ45 Loopback Tester | Computer Cable Store

Thing is I rarely take laptop in on service call unless I need it. These items, you just plug into jack and copier link light lights. Don't need to lug in laptop and cable. Links for building your own are all over internet, so just google them if interested. It is basically tie pins 1 to 3 and 2 to 6 on cat 5 cable together, so all you really need is a cat5 that you can cut the end off and twist the wires.

I would think this would be a benefit to me, not lugging a laptop in each time. Maybe I'm lazy, but I like the quick results type of things. I'm sure most of us carry the AC outlet checker and I also still carry the phone line checker from fax days (ran into a number of reversed ring /tip from homemade phone jack installs). Nice to carry one of these and have instant results on good nic or not.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    RJ-45 loopback tool

If you frequently are the customer's IT or have to install networking into a new building, it might pay to invest in a network testing equipment. I used to use a Test-Um LanScaper.

NDX8DXXX | LanScaper Network Tester Kit (8 Remotes)