Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scan1

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Scan1

Scan1

Since the early days of scanning with MFP's I'm using Scan-FTP for my customers and am very happy with it. No hassle with MS updates, old SMB protocols etc. Unfortunately there are some IT-Blokes who insist on not having an FTP-Server running on their systems so the alternative would be Scan-SMB which too often becomes dysfunctional after certain software updates or other obscure reasons and when this happens "Customer feels its always the machine". Another alternative would be scan-E-Mail which is not much liked by our customers for what reason ever and myself too since I would need their SMTP credentials which could have its own headaches.

Another possibility would be Scan-Box to the local hard drive in the MFP. I'm not sure but seem to remember that - at least for KonicaMinolta which is my main brand - it is rather clumsy and one cannot explore the scanfolder directly in the network but only through PageScope-"something" or so.

My idea is to get for those machines where Scan-FTP is unwanted, a cheap NAS instead. Sticking it to the back of the machine with Velcron and do the scans directly to the NAS with either Scan-FTP or perhaps SMB.

Do you guys have experience with this set up and can you give advice for a cheap NAS? Any Con's?

Thanks

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Re: Scan1

Only seen 2 NAS customers, setup was same as SMB scanning. Was not impressed with them as they may fail also unless they backup to a cloud. Windows 10 I always use FTP , SMB too many changes from MS updates. FTP always works

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Scan1

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Only seen 2 NAS customers, setup was same as SMB scanning. Was not impressed with them as they may fail also unless they backup to a cloud. Windows 10 I always use FTP , SMB too many changes from MS updates. FTP always works
    H BSM2i,
    Can you recommend FTP software you use?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dickierock View Post
    H BSM2i,
    Can you recommend FTP software you use?
    Thanks.
    I use filezilla server

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Scan1

We use since long Quick 'n Easy FTP-Lite

Quick 'n Easy FTP Server Lite

Link at the bottom of that page.

Very easy to set up and there's a log showing exactly the traffic thereby making diagnostics easy.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

FTP and old SMB versions are considered by many ITs as vulnerable. There are some ways:
    -NeoMatrix posted one of them here - A little fyi for those with scan to smb issues with smb1 disabled
    -Setup scan to Box on KonicaMinoltas
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post

Another possibility would be Scan-Box to the local hard drive in the MFP. I'm not sure but seem to remember that - at least for KonicaMinolta which is my main brand - it is rather clumsy and one cannot explore the scanfolder directly in the network but only through PageScope-"something" or so.
    Actually, Pagescope Box Operator works pretty well and is our go-to whenever all the other issues you mentioned come to light. Just install the program the PCs and connect to the device and that's it. You can browse the boxes just like in Windows Explorer. There is one extra click to get to the box vs. just clicking on a shortcut to an SMB folder but other than that, works great. Of course, the customer can move the files from the box to wherever they wish on their PC by just by drag/drop or using the right-click menu.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Since the early days of scanning with MFP's I'm using Scan-FTP for my customers and am very happy with it. No hassle with MS updates, old SMB protocols etc. Unfortunately there are some IT-Blokes who insist on not having an FTP-Server running on their systems so the alternative would be Scan-SMB which too often becomes dysfunctional after certain software updates or other obscure reasons and when this happens "Customer feels its always the machine". Another alternative would be scan-E-Mail which is not much liked by our customers for what reason ever and myself too since I would need their SMTP credentials which could have its own headaches.

My idea is to get for those machines where Scan-FTP is unwanted, a cheap NAS instead. Sticking it to the back of the machine with Velcron and do the scans directly to the NAS with either Scan-FTP or perhaps SMB.

Do you guys have experience with this set up and can you give advice for a cheap NAS? Any Con's?

Thanks

Hans
    Add Mirror Hard Drive Backup with ip address / setup scan directly to folder/scan to usb if your machine has it. Pagescope is the biggest joke ever made. Scan to hard drive simple create shortcut on desktop \\192.168.1.35\file_share this is an example. Direct scanning to network folder stays put as long as you list" everyone "on the folder security. This is simple stuff. No one is using ftp. Please do not do what you are suggesting you will lose your customer. Map you copier hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Add Mirror Hard Drive Backup with ip address / setup scan directly to folder/scan to usb if your machine has it. Pagescope is the biggest joke ever made. Scan to hard drive simple create shortcut on desktop \\192.168.1.35\file_share this is an example. Direct scanning to network folder stays put as long as you list" everyone "on the folder security. This is simple stuff. No one is using ftp. Please do not do what you are suggesting you will lose your customer. Map you copier hard drive.

Use FTP all the time NEVER had to remove or uninstall. This is simple stuff ?, that's why I get paid to fix your problems. Stick to main body problems

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scan1

With today's modern MFP, most have the capability to Scan to Memory Device. This is not restricted by any network security issues. It totally dependent on settings at the MFP. Just make sure it is your thumb drive and not your vaping device that you pull out of your pocket.