Thread: Scan2

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Scan2

Scan2

More and more customers are asking for searchable PDF's these days. Even when modern MFP's could have their own way of producing searchable scans there seems to be still a desire to have a folder in Windows where incoming scans are automatically converted to searchable PDF's, preferably even in the PDF/A-1b(a) format.

Tried in the past to work with Nuance but was not successful. The set up is too complicated for my simple mind and the software is bloated with features none of my customers need.

Is there any simple software which can handle incoming scans into a folder in Windows and convert them automatically? Using the PDF/A-1b or 1a format would be a great advantage too.

Thanks

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Re: Scan2

Some newer models have it built in or as an option to add to equipment. Abbyfine software is another option.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scan2

Ricoh introduce scan to OCR readable PDF a few models back. It is an option that can be installed and selected. Its only draw back was the MFP processor lacks the computing power to do the conversion in a timely manner. It took minutes to do what a software such as Abbyfine can do it seconds and the scanned file was not delivered delivered to the destination until the conversion was completed.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Scan2

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Ricoh introduce scan to OCR readable PDF a few models back. It is an option that can be installed and selected. Its only draw back was the MFP processor lacks the computing power to do the conversion in a timely manner. It took minutes to do what a software such as Abbyfine can do it seconds and the scanned file was not delivered delivered to the destination until the conversion was completed.
    That's exactly my experience with the KonicaMinolta OCR option. Takes ages to finish. Unusable to my opinion.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Toshiba RE-Rite works fine comes as option

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

On the Ricoh side using the Cloud Apps built into the newer machine it work pretty good. All of the processing is done in the cloud. Not sure the cost but there is a 60 day trial. Works with email, dropbox, google and a few others.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Scan2

I cannot speak for other brands of copiers, but the last two generations of Toshiba copiers feature a dual core processor.

Some brands have quad core processors but they do not appear to produce anywhere close to 4x the performance.

With Toshiba an extra cost OCR Enabler can be installed that unlocks the built in OCR software. OCR jobs are quickly processed without impairing the functionality of other copy/print/scan/fax jobs.

No need to connect to the cloud.

I use the OCR function all of the time and even large documents can process quickly.

I know the Toshiba way outperforms current model Konica Minolta copiers both in speed and accuracy when asked to convert a paper spreadsheet into an Excel file.

I cannot speak about current Xerox copiers but older models equipped with the ability to create Searchable PDFs had a single core processor. When the copier was asked to perform the OCR task it could take minutes for the job to be completed rendering the copier completely unavailable for other tasks.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

On KMs the newer 8 series work 100% better with the searchable I-option, the slowdowns and lag we saw on the e series are all but gone..But, from the way I read your post, you are looking for software that will monitor a folder and auto grab and convert new additions to searchable PDF..Nuance does this very easily, but as you stated the setup and configuration can be difficult. plus this "watch folder" process requires addtional licensing ($$$). I do not know of anything that (at least in my world of offerings) that will do what you are looking for outside of MFP scanning software.