Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: ricoh does not care about drivers to print on mac

I agree.

Even my $150 Brother desktop printer has PostScript.

Again, though, it's not Adobe PostScript. I think it's called "BrotherScript".

Apparently, Ricoh feels that if you are purchasing a higher end printer, that you would want the real deal, and go for the Adobe version.

Then again, who knows what kind of relationships printer manufacturers have with Adobe...that's not for us mere mortals to know.

I have heard it the other way, Ricoh is not the problem, Adobe is. The home based printers maybe do 1k/year. The higher end printers 1M+/yr. Greed from Adobe makes Ricoh pay $$$ for the postscript capability. They know they have a captive market, ie, buy it or go without. Mac users get used to the little throw-away printers that work and blame the manufacturers when they should be blaming Adobe. I deal Ricoh and Kyocera and both have emulations now that for the most part work fine. Maybe the better question might be why is Apple so stubborn about surrendering to PCL? There are probably licensing restrictions there for Macs also.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    ricoh does not care about drivers to print on mac

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    Maybe the better question might be why is Apple so stubborn about surrendering to PCL? There are probably licensing restrictions there for Macs also.
    As I said previously, MAC does have a generic PCL printer. I have used it a number when the customer does not want to buy the PS3 option to allow the one MAC computer in their office that only prints occasionally to use their Ricoh.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

There IS a workaround for PCL Printing on Macs, but we as a dealer don't support it.

This is ONE way to do it however.... Print to any PCL printer - Mac OS X Hints

...Here's another. Gutenprint for Mac OS X

As always...installing unofficial print drivers on any operating system can open you up to all sorts of liability issues. If the customer's Mac "breaks"....it's going to be YOUR fault. Doesn't matter if it is or isn't....they're going to blame you.

If the customer doesn't spring for the PostScript, I let them know what the workaround is and I let THEIR IT guy handle it.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    There IS a workaround for PCL Printing on Macs, but we as a dealer don't support it.

This is ONE way to do it however.... Print to any PCL printer - Mac OS X Hints

...Here's another. Gutenprint for Mac OS X

As always...installing unofficial print drivers on any operating system can open you up to all sorts of liability issues. If the customer's Mac "breaks"....it's going to be YOUR fault. Doesn't matter if it is or isn't....they're going to blame you.

If the customer doesn't spring for the PostScript, I let them know what the workaround is and I let THEIR IT guy handle it.
    I stupidly installed the Gutenprint drivers on a Mac some years back. Once was enough, thanks.

Typical scenario, just one Mac notebook, and the sales rep wasn’t smart enough to ask, so no PostScript.

It worked great for 2 days, then the inevitable call: “It’s too slow, it’s messing up the fonts, and the color is way off. Get out here and fix it now, or you can come and pick your machine up.”

Nothing to do to make it better. The rep found a PS card in a trade-in machine in the warehouse, and sold it to them quite cheaply.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I stupidly installed the Gutenprint drivers on a Mac some years back. Once was enough, thanks.

Typical scenario, just one Mac notebook, and the sales rep wasn’t smart enough to ask, so no PostScript.

It worked great for 2 days, then the inevitable call: “It’s too slow, it’s messing up the fonts, and the color is way off. Get out here and fix it now, or you can come and pick your machine up.”

Nothing to do to make it better. The rep found a PS card in a trade-in machine in the warehouse, and sold it to them quite cheaply.
    We had a "Dandy" one a few years back. Canon iR Advanced with a Fiery server on it, but it didn't support Cambria or Collibri fonts... so when the customer printed using them, it would substitute Wingdings!!

...customer called asking why their machine was printing in "Heiroglyphics"!!

Technician

Where can I get sd postscript aficio2075 and mp8000?

problem print pxlmono Ricoh mp8000 - Apple Community

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by medallo View Post
    Where can I get sd postscript aficio2075 and mp8000?

problem print pxlmono Ricoh mp8000 - Apple Community
    You cannot. They do not take the same SD card type.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    You cannot. They do not take the same SD card type.
    Either would be a real trick to find.
    Both of these models are SUPER old.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    MAC does have a built in Generic PCL Driver that does work with Ricoh. It does not allow setting options.
    surely Generic drivers work but wont print color. seen cases with mpc 2011.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Codex's Avatar

i have the same problem with some macs, the color machines don't print in color.....but only B/N
    Memento Audere Semper