Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: SSD vs HDD in copiers

The issue with SSD's in devices like copiers is that the heavy amount of write operations will eventually degrade the drives. With every job being written to the drive and then deleted afterwards, you'd need some really powerful wear leveling to make sure the drive lasted which makes the OS heavier since it has to be built into that. I think we're going to be stuck with spinning rust in machines for quite awhile.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    The issue with SSD's in devices like copiers is that the heavy amount of write operations will eventually degrade the drives. With every job being written to the drive and then deleted afterwards, you'd need some really powerful wear leveling to make sure the drive lasted which makes the OS heavier since it has to be built into that. I think we're going to be stuck with spinning rust in machines for quite awhile.
    I ve put SSD in my older laptops and they fly now..vista and win 8.
    AS i been led to believe there are no moving parts on a SSD..
    So why would it degrade?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    SSD vs HDD in copiers

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    ... I wonder what would happen if you removed the SSD from a new Konica Minolta iSeries copiers and attempted to read the data from another device...
    ... you mean once you've cracked the 20 character encryption key? I'm not that knowledgeable about encryption, but I cannot imagine somebody cracking that key with off the shelf hardware. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    SSD vs HDD in copiers

Copier Architecture can be optimized to write data to both RAM and a SSD thereby reducing the wear on the SSD.

Current Toshiba architecture operates in both the RAM and the HDD to minimize read/writes to the HDD.

SSD vs HDD in copiers

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    ... you mean once you've cracked the 20 character encryption key? I'm not that knowledgeable about encryption, but I cannot imagine somebody cracking that key with off the shelf hardware. =^..^=
    I agree. I did not know there was a 20 character Encryption key. It is not in the brochure and I have not seen an iSeries copier in person or even had to present a competitive quote against one. There is a lot of chatter on the CTN boards about the iSeries, not all good.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Actually on new i-series storage board(SSD) stores Firmware(Controller).
    There are many pros/cons about SSD but I found new KM Common Controller 6G is very fast and works good.
    Print quality and overall make are different story...
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Technician

I think $/GB is negligible at this point. I just updated my home PC with a 2.5" 1TB ssd and paid less than $120-- Thats about 12 cents per gigabyte.

Not only is it faster, but as reliable and less prone to failure due to shock.

I can't see this as being anything but a positive move.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    I ve put SSD in my older laptops and they fly now..vista and win 8.
    AS i been led to believe there are no moving parts on a SSD..
    So why would it degrade?
    There are a limited number of write cycles in a SSD. Operating systems like Windows, MacOS, and *nix have the ability to level out the locations used by writing data so that it's not always using the same area to write data (unlike a spinning disk which is sequential). MFP's write and delete every job to the disk as a portion of the spooling process, so the write cycles are used at a much faster pace. Busy machines like in a print shop would work through those cycles pretty quickly and you'd be left with a drive that couldn't reliably write data.

MFP manufacturers are always behind the curve in terms of hardware like this (look at the number of machines needing IDE hard drives after the rest of the world had long since moved on to SATA), so likely the wear leveling we see in our desktop OS's will start to make it to MFP's in a good five to seven years.

SSD vs HDD in copiers

There are a limited number of write cycles in a SSD. Operating systems like Windows, MacOS, and *nix have the ability to level out the locations used by writing data so that it's not always using the same area to write data (unlike a spinning disk which is sequential). MFP's write and delete every job to the disk as a portion of the spooling process, so the write cycles are used at a much faster pace. Busy machines like in a print shop would work through those cycles pretty quickly and you'd be left with a drive that couldn't reliably write data.

MFP manufacturers are always behind the curve in terms of hardware like this (look at the number of machines needing IDE hard drives after the rest of the world had long since moved on to SATA), so likely the wear leveling we see in our desktop OS's will start to make it to MFP's in a good five to seven years.
    SSDs are in Konica Minolta iSeries copiers now and likely next generation (not yet released) Toshiba copiers within two years. SSD technology advances all of the time. HDD technology not so much.

Toshiba copiers can use a combination of RAM and software to reduce write cycles to either a HDD or SSD.

Todate, the big question is whether or not the GSA (US Federal gov't purchasing agency) (the largest purchaser of copiers in the world) will accept SSD's on their Standing offers.

Technician

Okay, and HDD MTBF is something like 10,000 hours-- They will fail inevitably. When specific cells in an SSD reach the end of their lifespan, the rest of the device is still funcitonl. This is not the case for HDD. Once it reaches that lifetime usage, the whole thing is junk.