Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Question 'bout FTP servers.

Would like to know why IT-dudes do not want to install or use a FTP server, either locally or within the main server. The say that its a security risk. Reason why I am asking is that older equipment such as the KonicaMinolta C-360 cannot use scan-SMB since this older equipment can only do SMB1 which itself is a security risk.

In cases where needed I would like to put behind the MFP a small PC with a FTP server (utility) running. Other workstations would than be able to use the shared files and folders in this computer for scanning purposes only.

Would this additional dedicated computer behind the MFP, running a FTP server, possess a risk for the other workstations and/or main server or the network in general?

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: Question 'bout FTP servers.

Hans, I do Googled this and found a couple of possible answers:
    FTP Server – Beware of Security Risks | SSH.COM
    The Business Problem of Using File Transfer Protocol (FTP) | Cleo

P.S
    Another good site with explanation of enhanced security for FTP.
    18 best free SFTP and FTPS servers for Windows and Linux
    Last edited by tsbservice; 07-07-2019 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Add info
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Good info.
    FTP folders are easily accessible with anonymous authentication, even with password protection wireshark in the right hands will get that password with no effort.
    The password is transmitted using clear text.
    Biggest problem here is not stealing info but a hacker can download executable files into those directories.
    Changing the port from 21 to something else could reduce the risk a little.

Anyone done a SFTP setup on there MFP's?

The newer Bizhubs supports Samba file sharing from the machine that use password protection.
    If the customer is ok with copying there scans from the MFP its the easiest scanning setup ever.

Still email is the way to go.
    Last edited by allan; 07-07-2019 at 05:31 PM.
    Whatever

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Some Xerox machines have them. It also has a feature to index the file.
    Aye! Cut the crap

If there IT won't install it and OWN it. Time to upgrade machine.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

We do mostly rental machines and since the C280/360 series perform for us VERY good and with low costs, I see little reason to upgrade them.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

My company does the same thing. i am start to notice they are starting to shift away from us because of new features that are available. So your copier might but be cheaper to run but you lose down the road either from copier is old and they what something new or some feature they are wanting. Customer don't tell you tell they call up saying we are changing to a different copier company.

You can secure the communication by using a second NIC in the PC behind the printer.
    That PC would be the print server. Also you would need to use the firewall to ensure communication is restricted to between the machine and the PC and the server.
    So FTP to the PC with no way of capturing packets(unless you can get to the cabling) and windows file sharing to the server. That would make it there problem.

Still email scanning on these C360 machines still work a treat.
    If the TLS/SSL does not work there is firmware that fix that.
    Whatever

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Would like to know why IT-dudes do not want to install or use a FTP server, either locally or within the main server. The say that its a security risk. Reason why I am asking is that older equipment such as the KonicaMinolta C-360 cannot use scan-SMB since this older equipment can only do SMB1 which itself is a security risk.

In cases where needed I would like to put behind the MFP a small PC with a FTP server (utility) running. Other workstations would than be able to use the shared files and folders in this computer for scanning purposes only.

Would this additional dedicated computer behind the MFP, running a FTP server, possess a risk for the other workstations and/or main server or the network in general?

Hans
    Insanely simple if you do decide to use FTP!!!Question 'bout FTP servers.
    Download KONICA MINOLTA FTP Utility by Konica Minolta Business Solutions (HK) Ltd

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

As mentioned FTP is similar to the older SMB, no encryption, packets are sent in the clear. If the copier can handle sftp or ftps, these would be more secure. Security is a bitch. Some places are way too strict and others way too lax. I have had really good luck running ftp with filezilla on a pc. Management no longer lets me do it because of liability (understandable). There are so many security paranoid businesses out there. Many small businesses can only turn on a computer and use microsoft office as the extent of their computer knowledge. I highly doubt these places would have someone knowledgeable enough to use a packet sniffer and grab usernames and passwords going to a smb or ftp file share. Guess I just trust people to do the right thing. Maybe I'm too trusting.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex