Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar

x64 Vista Ultimate - Printer Set-Up

Ok! I had one today that really through me. And after talking with the network admin, he told me that he has had this problem with the other vendors on their network.

I was connecting a Savin 3224 to three new PC's that were loaded with x64 Vista Ultimate. After adding the new IP Port, the OS tries to communicate with the new port. I'm assuming this is a SNMP procedure. It's at this point, it cannot communicate and the generic controller set-up window pops up. And yes, you can ping IP.

Next I tried opening a telnet session, but I got the message that a session could not be opened. I just wrote this off that they have turned telnet off through the web interface. So, I try opening the web interface and am greeted by a Citrix Metaframe log in screen proclaiming that I don't have the I32(i think that's right) client installed. I'm somewhat familiar with this, since I had to install it on my laptop for another client location.

The other PC's in the building, XP's, were not having any problems and printing was just fine. But I did notice that when trying to access the web interface, I get the same Citrix Metaframe screen. Like I said before, the admin said that he had even had problems connecting the Xerox mfp's that they had. Not sure about the models of those though, so... He even said that Xerox did not have a 64-bit driver for their models and was working on one for them. He said that he even had a few HP's that he could not get set-up. He tell me though that the only one's he had not had problems with were non-Ultimate versions of Vista.

Of course Ricoh does have a 64bit driver for most all our machines and I have even connected another x64 Vista machine a few weeks ago, but that was on a Savin 4051 and I'm not sure if it was Ultimate or not. Then again, that is a little newer machine than the 3224, so...

Anyway, this just seems like something that would be really simple to fix, but I haven't run into it yet nor have I read about this perticular issue here on the boards yet. So, does anyone have any input on this one.

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

School District Tech 500+ Posts schooltech's Avatar
    Damn, I wish I had more experience with x64 Vista Ultimate.

So, you can 'see' it on the network via the x64 machine, but when you go to the web interface from the same machine, the Citrix client error pops up, right?

If you run the client, what happens? ICA32.exe is the full client, ICA32T.exe is a minimum client.

I just haven't ran into these issues, but I'm sure that someone will be able to give you a better answer.

Just for shits & giggles, have you tried any other 64 bit driver?

One more thing, what does the x64 Ultimate box currently print to or scan with? The Savin 4051 isn't at their location, is it?

I think I will shut up now.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Comptia A+, Comptia Network+

Quote Originally Posted by schooltech View Post
    So, you can 'see' it on the network via the x64 machine, but when you go to the web interface from the same machine, the Citrix client error pops up, right?
    Right

If you run the client, what happens? ICA32.exe is the full client, ICA32T.exe is a minimum client.
    The client is not installed on any of the PC's. Not even the XP machine that is currently printing to the 3224. I'm wondering if they recently updated their MetaFrame environment and this is what is causeing the issue and they will have to install the metaframe print client on all the PC's. Not totally sure.

Just for shits & giggles, have you tried any other 64 bit driver?
    No, I didn't. After some research this morning, I learned that this model does not support the Universal PCL or PS drivers. But the simple answer is no.

One more thing, what does the x64 Ultimate box currently print to or scan with?
    There is a new HP multifunction connected with USB. They had an older HP multifunctional connected, before installing the new PC. The net admin could not get it to work, so he purchased a new one and it works fine. Through USB of course.

The Savin 4051 isn't at their location, is it?
    No, not at this location. That was a different customer from a few weeks ago.

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

School District Tech 500+ Posts schooltech's Avatar
    Interesting thing you've got there. Unless anyone else has had specific problems with this or something similar, I'm leaning toward their specific Citrix environment. On most of the environments I've dealt with, Citrix wasn't a player. Now, I've seen it only a few times, but I really do not know enough about it to be of any real help. I'm thinking that the admin should be able to double check any settings. They're obviously running it for VPN connectivity, and if it's a secure environment, it will either be IPSec, L2TP-layer 2 tunneling, or an ssl setup, but I think Citrix uses the SSL method.

Another question:

Is there any network device/mfp/copier that will work yet? I know you said that he even had problem with Xerox boxes too.

If not, then there may need to be some sort of SSL setting/authentication setting/protocol that these devices all have off by default that needs to be turned on. I'm thinking that it may be a common setting that most businesses don't use, which is why it's off.

I think I'd have him give you all protocols that he's using within his Citrix environment. There may be something within a Group Policy setting in Ultimate that needs to be "allowed" or "enabled." I vaguely remember something within Windows Server 2003 in Group Policy settings that needed to be enabled for the new-at the time-Kyocera copiers to scan to Server 2003. It's a simple fix, but a pain in the ass if you don't know what to look for.

I think this might be a simple fix, but no one has really dealt with it enough to be able to answer it, yet........
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Comptia A+, Comptia Network+

Yeah, I've talked with a few people yesterday and it seems as though I am pretty much on my own with this one.

I have however put together a few questions that I want to ask the net admin about. And the first one deals with the network speed settings of the PC.

The problem sounds the same as if you have the net speed set wrong on the machine. He said that all the x64 Vista Ultimates would not pull an IP when first connected. He would have to install another NIC in the PC and it would work fine then. This of course could be a driver issue.

Second I'm going to try the x64 UPD.

Third, I'm going to ask if they have recently changed/upgraded their Citrix Metaframe enviroment. I know that I could surf the web, download files... all those things. So, your probably right about them using Metaframe for VPN access. I will ask him if would be ok to install the driver on the Metaframe server, if it supports x64 drivers, and install the metaframe print client on one of the PC's.

After that... I'm hoping some of his answers will give me other leads. I'm not sure when I will be able to get back on site, but I will keep everyone posted when I do. Thanks schooltech