Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handy Tools

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Handy Tools

Handy Tools

Hi Guys,

haven't got an issue but was just wondering is there some really handy tools/software to have in general for engineers,

we currently work on a wide variety of photocopiers and do a lot of installations just wondering if anyone has any suggestions

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Handy Tools

Re: Handy Tools

Ricoh Firmware Update Tool - This allows the customers IT people to update the firmware of many Ricoh devices at the same time.
    Canon Remote Operation Viewer - This allows help desk staff and IT people to operate the device remotely as if they were standing at the machine.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Handy Tools

Angry IP Scanner / Advanced IP Scanner for quick Network checks (For exmaple in remote supportwith unreachable network printer its usefull)
    Other than that some simple selfwritten programms to help with mass installation of printer drivers etc

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Handy Tools

TeamViewer has easily saved me hundreds of hours of driving to site over the years

MX Lookup Tool - Check your DNS MX Records online - MxToolbox is also handy for scan to email issues

WireShark for data captures to help diagnose scan to folder/email

Network cable tester for customers with data point that aren't numbered

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Handy Tools

One of the best tools is CTN.net. If you have a tough problem, just start a thread and like magic, you'll most likely get the correct solution.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Handy Tools

One of the most valuable tools that I use a lot is a network cable tracer. I prefer one that can be used while the network is up and running. It can be incredibly frustrating to track down a cable that has been pludgged into the wrong port at the patch panel or wherever.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Network...xoC25kQAvD_BwE
    Growth is found only in adversity.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

A laptop with an actual cat5 network port is a must, this is used for creating an "ad-hoc" network for troubleshooting print issues.

As mentioned, Advanced Ip Scanner, great as you can simply run it, don't have to install it to use.

For help desk, a remote access software. We use Kaseya but others like TeamViewer and AnyDesk basically do the same thing.

TightVNC. Small, simple, free and you don't have to use passwords. Always blows customers minds when you bring up the machine's op panel on their desktop. Also allows you to see what the customer is actually doing on the op panel (depending on model).

TB+ external HDD. I have more manuals and firmware than will fit on my laptops drive. Can also store firmware, test files, naked pics of Bea Arthur, etc.

USB thumb drives. I have one for test files, one for firmware, and one for general use.

Kyocera SMB tool. Makes configuring SMB a breeze when networking Kyocera devices.

Last, and most important in my humble opinion, a working understanding of how printers, copiers and networks work. Without this, all other tools are completely useless.

Last edited by mojorolla; 01-05-2024 at 08:04 PM.
    Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Handy Tools

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    A laptop with an actual cat5 network port is a must, this is used for creating an "ad-hoc" network for troubleshooting print issues.

As mentioned, Advanced Ip Scanner, great as you can simply run it, don't have to install it to use.

For help desk, a remote access software. We use Kaseya but others like TeamViewer and AnyDesk basically do the same thing.

TightVNC. Small, simple, free and you don't have to use passwords. Always blows customers minds when you bring up the machine's op panel on their desktop. Also allows you to see what the customer is actually doing on the op panel (depending on model).

TB+ external HDD. I have more manuals and firmware than will fit on my laptops drive. Can also store firmware, test files, naked pics of Bea Arthur, etc.

USB thumb drives. I have one for test files, one for firmware, and one for general use.

Kyocera SMB tool. Makes configuring SMB a breeze when networking Kyocera devices.

Last, and most important in my humble opinion, a working understanding of how printers, copiers and networks work. Without this, all other tools are completely useless.

occasionally you also need a screwdriver but thats often times it for 90% of calls

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    occasionally you also need a screwdriver but thats often times it for 90% of calls
    You could also add a hammer, ya know, to work on Konica Minolta iSeries boxes.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Handy Tools

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    Screwdriver is the heart of service tech. Thanks God we're not all day long at remote, that would be the end for me.

We use TV, Anydesk, KM remote panel, all sorts of MFPs remote supervisions are essential also.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.