copierman 250+ Posts
    Sharp Mx4071 only working on DCHP

Hi Guys,

I installed a machine this morning using the same ip address as the MFD i pulled out. We could not get the copier to respond to a ping? So, we put the machine on DHCP and then the machine responded to a ping and could be web browsed and printed to (different IP).

I then set the machine to a static IP (the same IP that it got from DHCP) and it did not respond to a ping? This may be something on the customers network as it worked with a static IP at our showroom. Its very odd that as soon as i set it to static, it fails to work.

I was with the customers IT guy and he said to leave it on DHCP, but has anyone else seen this??
    Networking skills are advantageous but use of a 3m vacuum cleaner is essential

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Sharp Mx4071 only working on DCHP

Just leave it DHCP and have the customer's IT reserve that IP address to the MAC, Medium Access Control, address of the Sharp. That way the Sharp will always get that address and nothing else will.

Sounds like they have high end domain switches that only allow devices that are assigned IP by the DHCP.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

it's a refurb? did you run an "intialize private data" maybe some protocol settings were changed years ago.

copierman 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    it's a refurb? did you run an "intialize private data" maybe some protocol settings were changed years ago.
    All machines that have been refurbished get the data initialized, i usually request that DHCP machines get reserved by MAC, but the IT guy said their system is not so simple, although this is not my problem it would be good to get possible reasons for the issue.

Thanks for the input.
    Networking skills are advantageous but use of a 3m vacuum cleaner is essential

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Sounds like the client has some kind of Network Access Control (NAC) in place that only allows devices registered with the control system to connect. Give the MAC address to the client's IT and let them deal with it.