Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    creating new Gmail accounts for scan to E-Mail

Re: creating new Gmail accounts for scan to E-Mail

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    While you're perfectly correct(as usual) you will be very surprised that depending on locations people are still using personal emails for business accounts and not even from Google but some local free providers where they are on a brink of being compromised.
    They are like - hey I'm using this email from years for free why's that your machine can't as your salesmen told me it can scan
    You can't fix stupid people being stupid and sales are sales. I think many techs here have to deal with end customers or small mom and pop businesses. I would love if all of our customers have ITs and happily would toss most of those settings on them but the world is not perfect.
    One thing,if they want you to provide IT services, you damned well better be charging them for it.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    One thing,if they want you to provide IT services, you damned well better be charging them for it.
    Sad but true. Lately I don't feel excited to stay at office and Anydesk for hours installing, troubleshooting and making all that stuff.
    This is so frustrating turning screwdriver isn't!
    It's all about field work that I like. The day we grow up enough to need a tech to do service manager's duties I'm outta that door.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Call me crazy, but if the customer wants to scan so badly shouldn't it be on them to provide the email to use? That's something they already have for their business, so let them provide it so that it's something entirely under their control.
    But they don't even understand what you are asking from them.
    SMTP ? Port ? They just tell you that they did not have to do anything with the last dealer so they expect the same.
    And you can explain how much you want, it's a lost cause.
    Most of them use Gmail address but it's a mess to setup now on MFP or copiers with the security.
    On the other end you have public administration and school that have dedicated address but they have no support or we get told to fuck off.

So we've just created a scan@nameofmycompany.com and use it on all our copiers when we have to.

And they'll simply tell you to grab your copier and fuck off, and move to another dealer.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts progoffice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JVergin View Post
    Just curious if anyone else has had this issue with Gmail in the past couple months?

Our company sells Kyocera products. A lot of our customers don't have any IT. So, when those customers need scan to email setup, and I'm unable to use their current email server for whatever reason, I will often just create a new Gmail account for the copier to use. I will of course enable 2 factor authentication and create an app password for the copier to use. I'm not sure this is necessary but I will also go through the security prompts and click "Yes, It was me" for everything applicable.

Recently, however, the accounts I create for this purpose are somehow getting flagged and disabled stating there was suspicious activity detected. This usually happens within a day of creating the account. I can re-enable the account, but from then on even if I create another app password, it will never accept that as a form of authentication again even from another copier. The copier will tell me Gmail responded with an authentication error.

I am NOT having any issues with account I've created in 2023 and before.

Anyone else have this issue?

Do you use any other smtp service for instances like this? If so, I'd like to know what you use so I can check into it.

Thank you!
    We just had a call come in for the exact same reason. The gmail account was created February 15th the day the copier was installed. It was also a Kyocera, but I doubt that makes any difference. It's almost like the App Password creation is triggering some kind of account audit. We haven't had a flood of calls come in for this issue, only the most recent install where a new gmail account was used for scanning. So there's definitely something new going on with gmail. Anybody else?

But are you using one of their computers or your laptop, I.E. different of the same MAC.
    Customer's PC on their Network. I am strictly remote IT, isn't no way I'm going to be driving almost 10 hours to get from one edge of our service range to the other for onsite help.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jason.bruhn@A&B View Post
    Customer's PC on their Network. I am strictly remote IT, isn't no way I'm going to be driving almost 10 hours to get from one edge of our service range to the other for onsite help.
    I have a feeling that if you call Kyocera they will tell you that you need to have someone who knows what they are doing physically at the machine

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

My guess is GMail smtp will stop working on machines pretty soon

' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts progoffice's Avatar

So the question is, will the manufacturers start implementing OAuth into their devices to comply with these new security standards.

Scanners & other devices

For scanners or other devices using SMTP or less secure apps to send emails, use one of the following options:

• Configure the device to use OAuth.
    • Use an alternative way to scan or send an email from the device.
    • Configure an app password for use with the device.

Tip: If you replace your device, look for one that sends email using OAuth.

Senior MFP Technician 250+ Posts ihatefinishers13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by progoffice View Post
    So the question is, will the manufacturers start implementing OAuth into their devices to comply with these new security standards.

Scanners & other devices

For scanners or other devices using SMTP or less secure apps to send emails, use one of the following options:

• Configure the device to use OAuth.
    • Use an alternative way to scan or send an email from the device.
    • Configure an app password for use with the device.

Tip: If you replace your device, look for one that sends email using OAuth.
    Sharp already has in their BP series' of machines, but nobody uses it so far in our customer base.