Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Network Help

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Network Help

Network Help

I've posted about my issue before with a Toshiba 200L. I was able to scan to email until I had to replace the NIC.
    Well I was finally able to pick up a hub to do a data capture. I've attached the screenshot of the capture. After the query of the DNS server for the IP address of the SMTP, for some reason, ARP is looking for the mail server on the LAN ?? At least that's the way I'm reading things. What would cause this. Is it because I'm using the IP address of the router as the DNS server ???
    Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    I usually ping the server name and type in the ip address of the server.
    That takes the dns lookup out of the issue.
    Also I use a local computer and ipconfig to see what dns and gateway they are using to set one up. It may be that the gateway is not the router ip address but something different.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Network Help

I did try just the IP address of the SMTP server. When I do that, ARP just polls looking for 74.126.13.50. The gateway was the only other thing I could think of. I think I just did ipconfig/all to get all the settings & I know it was 192.168.1.1 for the DNS server. I wondered why I didn't get an external DNS server ? Thanks for your input !!
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    When you ping the SMTP server, from the CMD prompt, are you getting a ping back? From the packet capture, it looks like you are. What it looks like to me is that your router is having problems resolving names. Your router mostly likely is hosting your DNS server.

If you see a response, in the cmd window, when you ping the SMTP server, then I would try to putting the IP address of the mail server in the MFP and not the name. See if you can mail from the MFP then. If so, then leave it this way, temorarily, unitl they can replace the router. At that time, go back and change the IP address back to the SMTP server name.

Best of luck

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Software/IT 50+ Posts jneezy2008's Avatar
    Using the SMTP IP versus hostname is a great way to test domain name resolution. 4.2.2.2, I believe, is an outside public DNS that you can use as DNS.

Network Help

Alrighty men, after doing a little research & talking with an IT buddy, I was on the right track. ARP is a LAN protocol. The gateway wasn't in correctly, therefore it was never able to find the IP address outside of the network. DNS did resolve the name, but without the gateway it couldn't get out. Maybe this will help somebody else.
    Thanks for the input.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook