Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Ricoh MFD scan to email not successful when sending to smpt server using hostname

Hi all,

I've come across a strange problem which i'm not sure how to approach.

I've got a client who has a Ricoh MPC3500 and a Ricoh MP2510 which are both setup to scan to email - they have almost been configured exactly the same in terms on network connectivity. They are both located within the same subnet and almost in the same physical location.

Both machines are connected to the network via DHCP with DNS server set to "Auto Obtain". The only difference is that the inputted SMTP server information is different on each machine although it is the same SMTP server that is used. - the MP2510 uses the hostname of the smtp server while the MPC3500 uses the IP address.

A "Comm Test" on both machines to the SMTP server indicates success. A scan to email on the MP2510 (using hostname of SMTP server) is successful and so is a scan on the MPC3500 (using IP address of smtp server) . However, if i was to change the SMTP server details on the MPC3500 to hostname as opposed to IP address, the scan fails - although a "Comm Test" using the hostname still indicates success.

I have done both a software and hardware reboot without luck. I have even manually specified the DNS server for the MPC3500 but havent made any difference. I havent tried a NCS clear yet but i dont really want to go down that track if i do not have to.

So if you have any suggestions, throw it this way. thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
    Steve

Hi, use the IP adress instead, on most of the MFP's the DNS service will not resolve the IP on SMTP server fast enough. And secondly are the DNS servers obtained from DHCP working?

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Is the DNS info the same for both machines? I know you said that they are both set to pull this info with DHCP, but... are they the same?

Second, is the DNS info being obtained from a server, hosted on site, or through a gateway/router?
    If the info is coming from a router, then I would suggest logging into the router and obtaining the DNS addresses from there. You will find that they are not private IP addresses.

If DNS is hosted on a server, then check with the IT department and let them know what your running into. They should be able to make some changes to the DNS table to accomidate the MFP's.
    Is the SMTP server an in-house server?
    If so... then I wouldn't sweat the details my friend.

If not.... well, you might want to keep looking at it.

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    hi guys,

thanks for the replies...

I dont think there should be a DNS issue as both machines use exactly the same dns servers, the only difference is the MP2510 uses SMTP hostname and the MPC3500 uses IP address of the SMTP server. We've tried specifying the DNS server for the MPC3500 using the same DNS server as the MP2510.

However the problem is that the mail server ip address is going to change so the client wants the SMTP entry in the MFD changed to SMTP hostname and not IP address as any future changes to IP address of the mail server will require having to change it on the MFDs. As you can see, doing this for 100+ machines can be time consuming.

Lastly, i'm not sure if DNS is via a server or through a router. I will double check this.

thanks again guys.. any more suggestions, please send it this way.

Regards,
    sTeve