Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar

Vista x64; Multiple Print/Copy Issus

I installed a Savin MLP31dnL today (B/W 31ppm printer) on a Vista Home Premium x64 and quickly found that it would not print multiple prints of the same document. In other words, you go; File, Print, select 3 copies to be printed, and click OK. Problem is that it will only print 1 copy of the document. I first noticed this in a Print Shop program, so I opened Word and created a two page document and performed the same procedure. Yep! With the same result.

The client finally noticed I was starting to sweat bullets in a air condition room and explained that he has the same issue an Oki, a Kodak and a Epson. He said it did not start until he bought this particular PC, which is loaded with the above mentioned OS.

Has any one seen this issue before and if so were you able to resolve it. I have tried different drivers (RPCS {Ricoh driver}, PCL & PostScript), but no luck. I tried searching Google, but nothing seems to pop out of anything I have read so far and Vista's x64 Forum has one post concerning this issue, but it is yet unresolved. Any help or input would be great guys... thanks!

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Hi, Unisys,

Methinks that the answer you're seeking is contained in the link: Cannot print multiple copies - Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads

It describes not having the correct permissions set on the temp folder, and how to rectify the issue.

I hope this works for you!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Awesome find... I called myself searching that same forum. I guess I didn't well enough. Thanks for the link and info.

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    No problemo.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Well, I finally got back in touch with the customer again and went out to try what was suggested in that thread above and... it didn't work. Although, when checking, the USER account did not have "Full Control" of the windows\temp folder, and I gave it the proper permissions and even rebooted, it didn't resolve the issue.

I'm going to head back and do some more searching. There has to be more people out there with this same problem.

- Found one more thing, while searching... Check to make sure that the WINPrint processor is selected. Properties, Advanced, Print processor and choose WINPrint.

- I also saw another that suggested checking/choosing "Collate" and that fixed their problem, but that is already chosen. And yeah, I unchecked it and tried that too. Damn this is almost depressing!!
    Last edited by unisys12; 08-21-2009 at 12:56 AM. Reason: added info

Got two responses from Ricoh today... One from tech support and the other from our regional solutions rep. As a company, we don't support non-professional OS's. Since this the OS in question is Vista Home, do not support it. On the other hand, my regional solutions rep gave me a good idea. And that is to load the driver on another XP or non-x64 PC and share the printer. From there, add the shared printer to the x64 PC, that way the processing will be done through the other PC and not the x64 PC.

So this tells me that the problem is isolated in the print processor. Which then leads me to the tip listed above about making sure that the WinPrint processor is selected. So... that is what I will do.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Vista x64; Multiple Print/Copy Issus

I don't know if this is any help, but I'm really curious.

If you "print to file" from your laptop, then send the resulting file.prn to printer from the vista 64, do you get the multiple pages, or just singles?

My guess is that you will get multiples. Did you try setting it up as a local USB, then sharing it out?

I'll be interested in the results.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

No, unfortunately I did not set it up as USB, so I get a big TROUTSLAP for that. But, I have talked with a few other folks about this issue and they agree that it's most likely a Print Processor issue.

I have left a message with the client to call me back, so we can schedule a time for me to return. I just haven't heard from him yet. It's not a hugh issue to him, but something he has been dealing with since getting the x64 PC and something he would like to get to the bottom of. I'm just helping him out.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Vista Piece of Shista

I also have a workstation running Vista x64, lots of problems, Home, Premium, Ultimate, makes no difference. Lots of problems.

It reminds me of the Millenium Edition that Microsoft unloaded on everyone because they didn't have Win2K ready.

OS wise, we're kind of like where we were with the US automakers in the 50's when they didn't have any competition.

If history is any iindicator, Windows 7 will be a great OS, like Win2K was (and XP finally became)

sammyrose20
    Well same here even I am suffering from all these issues in vista...I didn't find vista as compatible with printer as xp is...I am addicted to XP don't feel like using vista...bad OS