Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Desktop Binder - What's it good for?

Is this software really useful? Does it do anything that others don't, like creating searchable PDFs out of scanned files? Or is it just another file organizer with a cute look over it?

My boss asked me to try and find a free solution for creating searchable PDFs, but I don't really there's one. You got tesserac, which is an open-source software to OCR images into text files, but to convert a PDF into searchable (and I don't mean editable), I guess you need a paid program like DigiDocFlow - Or am I wrong?

Cheers!
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    I am not keen on Desktop Binder to be honest but salesmen seem to love it because it's free.. it does not mean it's any good.

I would take a look at eCopy Paperworks. It will create searchable pdfs for you from different sources.

Not free but a much better package for pdf creation than desktop binder, which I think you needed the pro version to make pdf's anyway.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    James

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    The free version of Desktop Binder is almost totally useless; it can't create PDF files... or much of anything else, for that matter.

Any worthwhile OCR program will have a significant cost to it, as good OCR is not cheap.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    If you have Desktop Binder on CD, the CD itself makes for a great costar .

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Well, I know that Xerox has some embeded software (here and here) that, apparently, can scan documents into searchable PDFs directly to the user's PC. Isn't there anything for Ricoh machines, with all that Java stuff and everything?

I looked everywhere for a list of existing Java applications to install on the Ricoh MFPs and couldn't find any - did I search hard enough?
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The main benefit is that it allows you to take documents from different formats (word, pdf, image files, etc.) and combine them into one file to print out. Pretty much drag and drop, actually useful but a limited market.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    teebee has indeed highlighted the only decent(ish) feature of desktop binder lite or pro. But as eCopy paperworks can do this and do a better job of the searchable pdfs i think its the best option. Coupled with the embedded scanstation which will scan straight to searchable pdf if needed.

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Well, I know that Xerox has some embeded software (here and here) that, apparently, can scan documents into searchable PDFs directly to the user's PC. Isn't there anything for Ricoh machines, with all that Java stuff and everything?

I looked everywhere for a list of existing Java applications to install on the Ricoh MFPs and couldn't find any - did I search hard enough?
    DigiDocFlow is an awsome embedded application. eCopy Embedded is very good also, but very expensive. Oddly now owned by the same company. Actually, now that I think about it, Nuance Communications owns just about every decent scanning application out there. Paper Port, Omni Page, DigiDocFlow, now eCopy.

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

You forgot FineReader. It isn't theirs - yet.
    Mascan42

Ibid

Technician
    Try use PrimoPDF, I normally use it to convert files from Desktop Binder into pdf.