Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Sharpdesk Composer problem. (Print to file)

I have 2 pc's having the same issue when using the Composer feature in Sharpdesk. If you're not familiar with it, it's basically a Print to File type utility that will let you combine multiple files types(jpeg, gif, pdf, etc) into a single file.

When trying to add files into composer, I get a "printer error, no printer installed" message. I've re-installed the driver numerous times, reinstalled Sharpdesk, manually and using a utility, cleaned out any related entries in the registry and the problem still exists.

It shows up in my Printers and Faxes as an installed printer, yet when I try to send a test page I immediately get a Failed to Print error. I also get a "there is nothing to configure for this port" when I select configure port in the properties window. On my laptop, where everything functions fine, i can access this with no problem.

Sharp's official answer is to re-install the operating system (XP on both, btw), that's not really an option in the case of one of the customer's PC's (IT administrator for a financial institution)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Not being familiar with Sharpdesk, I have run into a similar problem with my wife's HP at home. Similar only that in my case, once I check the printer and faxes folder, I found that all the printers are gone. To get everything back, I have to open the Services Console and start the Print Spooler back up. I do use eCopy Desktop and Paperworks a good bit though, which is about the samething. Although I've never run into this problem before.

In your case though, it sounds like there's a problem with the actual port or the service supporting the port. When reinstalling the app did you delete the port before reinstalling? If not I would try that. All you have to do is uninstall the app, then right click in the printer and faxes folder and choose Server Properties. Then choose the port tab. Select the port created by SharpDesk and choose Delete. This way, when you reinstall the app, you have to recreate the port. If the problem does lye within the port, then this will take care of that I would think.

If that doesn't help, then I would try checking the event log (Administrative Tools, Component Services, Event Viewer, Application). Recreate the error and then refresh the viewer and sort the viewer by date. Scroll down and view activities during the time you created the error. That might help you see what is actually going on. But only if it actually logs an error.

Hope of this helps!

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.