Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirton.M View Post
    Well, for starters, all your computers must be part of the same domain.

Windows 7 practically insists on this for proper file sharing between the units.

Go to the control panel (just like XP) and look in the upper right side of the window where it says "Category", change that to "Small Icons" and you will get the full list of Control Panel applets.

From there, click once on "Network and Sharing Center". Then in the new window click on the blue link under "active network". It is likely named "Home Network". When you click on that link, a new window pops up. Click on "Work Network".

That setting allows the Windows 7 pc's to see the rest of the group and also makes them discoverable to the other pc's.

Also, on the left side of the "Network and Sharing Center" is a link called "changed advanced sharing settings" which also allows you to manually change specifics under each network type, be it home or work or public, which ever you are using.

You may also need to set firewall settings, though windows 7 should automatically configure those settings for you.

Also, Win7 does require a password logon be set for sharing to work seamlessly on those machines with any other computer on the network.
    Thanks.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirton.M View Post
    you may be right about that.

I found that I had to enable the password to share files between my home pc (win7) and my laptop (XP).

I'll be updating my main hardware with a custom build super computer over the weekend, so I'll revisit that and take a closer look.
    Post pix of it on AOA - Alliance of Overclocking Arts - Home Let's see that beast!
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    I'll give you a bit of a preview....

Case... Cooler Master Storm Scout Case at Memory Express Computers
    Processor... AMD Phenom (MD Phenom™ II X4 965 Quad-Core Black Edition 3.4GHz)
    Mainboard... Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 w/ DualDDR3 1333, 7.1 Audio, Dual Gigabit Lan, USB3.0, 1394, PCI-E, CrossFireX at Memory Express Computers
    memory... Patriot Extreme Performance Viper II Series DDR3 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC3-12800 Low Latency Dual Channel Kit at Memory Express Computers
    Video... HIS Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort at Memory Express Computers
    PSU... Corsair TX 850W Power Supply w/ 140mm Fan at Memory Express Computers
    monitor... Asus VH222H-P 21.5in Widescreen LCD w/ DVI, HDMI, 5ms, Speakers, Black at Memory Express Computers
    DVD burner... LG Super-Multi 22x DVD Writer, SATA w/ Lightscribe, Black at Memory Express Computers

hard drive and cooling I have yet to decide on. I already have a terabyte worth of storage drives in SATA...though I am considering a RAID configuration which would mean I need a second 640GB drive to match the one I have...just haven't made up my mind if I want to go that way yet or not. I can go RAID x 4 on a bunch of 160G drives if I want...but one of those 4 is a PATA drive so it will only slow everything down...which would ruin the fun.

Cooling I have yet to decide....so many damn choices...active vs passive...or THIS.... Corsair Hydro Series H50 CPU Cooler at Memory Express Computers (really cool, so to speak)
    The video cooling I may keep stock...down the road put in a passive heatpipe design. The rest...well the case comes with 3 already...if I get the water cooled thing, I can move that third someplace else...likely a secondary for the hard drive area.

Current indications from all the reviews I have read about the assorted hardware indicates I will have a pretty fast machine to start...and I am guestimating an easy overclock on the CPU from 3.4GHz to over 4GHz.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    Had them set their autoupdates to automatically update. Next morning file shares were back.

Good show!!!!

And go figure....heh....sometimes the easiest things solve it in a heartbeat.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Sorry about taking ages and ages...4 months and so....to get back on this....heh....

I have my new hardware all tweaked and running rock solid. What I posted I have installed. The CPU cooler I have yet to put in a custom job. I want to, I really want to. When in gaming mode, the CPU fan really ramps up and is freakin loud...jet engine going off. I'll eventually make up my mind on that. The video card was changed to a VapourX Radeon 5750 1GB DDR5 from Sapphire. I didn't like the limitation of the HIS card for monitor support. The HIS was HDMI and DVI, where the Sapphire is dual DVI. HDMI while cool, left a black 1 inch border while looking at the desktop. In game mode, the full screen showed, but not on desktop. Also, audio on the mainboard was disabled, killing the 7.1 audio channels when HDMI was plugged in. I did go with the second 640 GB drive, giving me just a tad shy of 2 TB of storage.

Performance? Fast. In the past, when using an Athlon 3000 with 4 GB Ram, I could encode an AVI from the net, roughly the time of the video itself would dictate the time to encode and burn to DVD. 2 hour movie, 2 hours before it was done and I could burn a disk. Now, 15 minutes at the longest, which includes DVD burn time. Encoding maxes out at about 300fps, at least for some of the files I have done thus far.

The image below is the current windows score, out of a possible 8. Some view this score as meaningless. I tend to agree, though I have been using this to give me a quick bench idea in relation to other hardware choices. I used this when I was first doing the window shopping at the local stores to see what was out there. Alienware hardware currently is the ONLY ones I found that outperform what I have in these scores. But only slightly. Custom built machines, those of the I7 processor and chipset, are the only viable intels that I am aware of that can outperform this rig in a stock configuration. The majority of Dells and HPs and Gateways out there simply sucked ass compared to what this beast can do. And I have yet to try any overclocking. When I get a better cooler for the CPU...some guys out there could overclock the CPU to 4GHz. I came up to that, but could not exceed it with a stock cooler when I tried it on a lark. But stability issues forced me back down. Better cooling will solve that.

performance..jpg

The only strange part of the scoring is the hard drive score. I read around the net in various places that the hard drives are being hampered by the OS when benchmarking in this app, so regardless of how really fast they are, 5.9 will be the best I can score. I heard about some tweaks, but those do not seem to work. But Sisoft has the 1.3TB RAID clocking in at roughly 140MB/s. I have room for higher performance. This mainboard can allow me a 4 drive striped array and take full advantage of the 300MB/s bandwidth availble. Do I really want a 2.6GB array??? I do not know yet.

Anyway, I'll have to push some images eventually on that page you mentioned. Just gotta get that cooler before I do so. The stock cooler, though functional, just doesn't look cool in this setup.

This
    Thermalright TRUE Black 120 CPU Cooler at Memory Express Computers
    or this
    Zalman CNPS9900NT Green LED CPU Cooler at Memory Express Computers

Both are equally good for what I want....just haven't made the mind up.
    ---Groucho Marx

Thanks man, I'm sure they'll love it just as much as you do.