Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: USB OFFLINE

OVERWORKED..UNDERPAID 50+ Posts stig's Avatar

USB OFFLINE

SP1100SF set up with a USB cable and a fax line. the MFP is kept on all the time because of the fax but the user switches off the PC every night. When the pc is switched on again and they try to print it doesn't print because the MFP is saying its offline. It does the same with my laptop connected. I also tried this on 2 other sp1100sf with the same results. To get the printer working again i either disconnect & reconnect the USB cable or switch the MFP off/on. My question is; is this the way its supposed to work or is there a setting to stop it going offline & reconnect ? It just doesn't seem rite to me that you have to do this. I have deleted & reinstalled the driver, updated F/W & looked at the settings in the service manual but can't see anything for that might work. Any one got any ideas or am I trying to fix something that isn't broken. !!!!!!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

USB

I've had lots of crazy things happen with USB printing, mainly with HP Printers, but occassionally with the small Sharp and Samsung table top MFPs (most of which are rebranded by other companies.) I haven't had much experience with your specific model, but it seems that on these little machines a lot has to do with how everything is installed. Most USB MFPs come with a mess of software for the printer and scanner. In most cases these software suites need to be fully installed for the device to function reliably. It could be that there is a specific DLL that isn't getting installed or registered properly. In that case, all that you can do is uninstall everything (anything in "add/remove programs", delete the printer, remove the driver under "Server Properties" etc.), unplug the printer, restart and install all the software without the device plugged in (as is the requirement in most cases) and make sure you are installing it with an Admin account. I know this doesn't specifically address your question, but hopefully it will help in someway. I had a table-top Sharp machine that I had a nightmare with. Uninstalled and reinstalled everything 3 times before it worked right, and haven't had a problem since. If I knew exactly what the problem was, I would have a job making a lot more money than I do know.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    The MFP cold be timing out the usb connection. Is there any settings related to sleep mode or usb timeout? Turn off sleep mode or set timer to 0?

OVERWORKED..UNDERPAID 50+ Posts stig's Avatar
    I deleted & reinstalled all the software and firmware with still the same results but it did work ok on a windows 7 PC. I sent a Ticket off to Gestener support who replied the next day saying that they had tested a machine in there lab & everything was ok & for me to reload & update everything again..and then the very next day on TESSA the firmware for this MFP had been updated with a fix for this fault, any way updated the firmware and now it works just fine when switched off & on. Thanks for your replies guys.