Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts GhostInTheMachine's Avatar

Ricoh scan-to-email

Now that most email providers are using ssl, we can't use scan-to-email anymore. In some cases we have used third party email relay servers. Just wondering what other options might be out there?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh scan-to-email

When you mean e-mail providers, do you mean ISP e-mail servers or web based e-mail providers like gmail and hotmail?

Most ISP's usually allow non authenticated e-mail sending on their networks that I've come across, hopefully this wont change any time soon.

If a customer doesn't have an internal e-mail server, and requires scan to e-mail, I then use their ISP's e-mail server, if that doesn't work then they have to install an internal e-mail server like this freeware software: ArGoSoft Mail Server

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts GhostInTheMachine's Avatar
    Guess you guys have it easier over there. EVERYONE here requires authentication and most have started requiring SSL. Unless of course the customer has their own email server. With spam and viruses becoming such a problem they are locking things down as much as possible. I have had some luck with Argosoft but even that can be blocked. They have a relay service also but that is not free.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    There is a plugin for microsoft exchange that whitelist an ip address so anything from that ip goes through without any authentication or ssl needed. But I would only use it in an outgoing server and not the incoming. I have several accounts that have it setup that way. Easier to setup as you point to the email server ip no user no password no ssl settings just plug in a return address and done.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh scan-to-email

Quote Originally Posted by ApeosMan View Post
    When you mean e-mail providers, do you mean ISP e-mail servers or web based e-mail providers like gmail and hotmail?

Most ISP's usually allow non authenticated e-mail sending on their networks that I've come across, hopefully this wont change any time soon.

If a customer doesn't have an internal e-mail server, and requires scan to e-mail, I then use their ISP's e-mail server, if that doesn't work then they have to install an internal e-mail server like this freeware software: ArGoSoft Mail Server

I suppose you could always setup your own e-mail server at your office, which doesn't require SSL, but just normal SMTP authentication, then give it access to the internet, so customers can use it. Though I don't know if this is practical for you, it just depends on how many customers you deal with that require this and how your dealership operates.

If there isn't any viable way to scan to e-mail, then another form of scanning like SMB, TWAIN driver or FTP will have to be setup. I know some customers can be a big pain, but if they don't have the appropriate I.T. infrastructure in place for scan to e-mail or whatever, there isn't much you can do.

Does anybody know any free internet e-mail providers like gmail that don't require SSL?
    Last edited by ApeosMan; 03-13-2010 at 03:56 AM.

anaprinterservice

scan to email

i use juno.com.

smtp gateway= authsmtp.juno.com port 587. authentication on, encryption off.,