Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Test scan to email function via crossover cable and laptop,help please...

Hi,

Apologies if this problem is being discussed elsewhere,

I have a problem with a clients machine that has stopped being able to scan to email.
    This problem appeared after the client had upgraded their server.
    We are liaising with their IT contractor to resolve this problem but my question is this...

Is there a way of testing a MFP's scan to email functionality outside of a network by connecting it to a laptop via crossover cable?

Hoping someone can help

Jay

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    Not unless your laptop is running a smtp server. If they are running microsoft exchange they need to set up an open relay for the machine and that should fix it.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Hi

Thanks very much for the reply and advice, We have solved this problem (smtp authentication problem)
    I was just thinking it would be handy to be able to test MFP's in the event of scan-2-email problems so that the MFP could be proven to work outside of the clients network .
    I would like to be able get the machine to send me an email to my outlook on the laptop when connected to the machine via crossover cable.
    It would just save time as 99.999999% of these problems are network related.

I suppose what I need now then is a selection of free SMTP server programs and some assistance with installing and setting one of them up!!

any help would be appreciated.

many thanks

Jay

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    If your laptop has XP Pro, Vista Pro, or Windows 7 Pro, you can enable IIS, and use the SMTP functionality of it. (The 'home" versions of these OSes don't offer IIS.)

That's what I do (XP Pro, at present), and it helps quite a bit when diagnosing issues.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Hi thank you for this,
    yes my laptop has xp pro, will I just be able to send an email from the machine into outlook using this?

many thanks

Jason

You;ll need to set up IIS and configure SMTP services under it.

You'll be able to send to any email through that as long as you have Internet access and outbound SMTP isn't blocked.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

HI , many thanks
    I have now installed IIS but I cant work out how to set up the smtp virtual server.
    I have outlook , how can i set up a mail account that will receive mail from an Multi Function Printer via crossover?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Test scan to email function via crossover cable and laptop,help please...

Its not very simple using IIS, and its meant to be a relay I think, not a real server.. You can download full fledged free and small email server apps called mercury mail or argosoft's mail server.. they'll actually setup a small mail server that you can see the activity on right on a laptop (or workstation) and with it you can actually watch what happens when the transaction takes place... if you have outlook you basically would setup an email "user" and address in the server and then "point" outlook @ it like any other mail client with all that implies. (server's ip, login name etc etc) but once configged, it works really well!

Regards!
    A.

jakpong
    I use Mercury mail server setup and running on my laptop, scan to outlook mail from MFD to Laptop by crossover cable.

The SMTP in IIS is exactly that, SMTP only, no inbound (POP).

I have several account set up this way where for whatever reason we couldn't use their "normal" mail server.

I like it because it's lightweight and there are no uncertainties of any third party software on the network.

Agreed, it's not the easiest thing to set up, but it does work well for what it's intended to do.