Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HDD hacking

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    HDD hacking

If required, I use a wipe program accross HDD's that will do 6 passes. This is available free of charge on the Ultimate Bott CD's. The Department of Defence here request the HDD out of all copiers and they do their own wiping on the HDD. If any data can be recovered once the wipe program is finished, then the HDD is used as target practice out on the range. lol

Stirton, I came accross any interesting fact the other day with on a security camera training course. In the US, it is illegal to have encryption with anything greater than 128 bit. The reason being that anything greater than 128 bit requires more processing power and time for the CIA to decrypt. So I would presume that NSA and CIA would use something like 256 or 512 bit encryption. Just a useless fact that I learnt.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    I'll concede you are most likely right about the level of encryption for the NSA and CIA, or for that matter, any government inteligence and security operation around the globe. I don't see anyone outside of the espionage of government secrets really going after commercial secrets....unless its that Caramilk bar secret.

For most of our customers, I have explained to them that if they do not make use of the system or user boxes, then anything they copy or print or fax on the machine will more than likely be overwritten by the next use of the machine. The encryption kits being optional, not everyone has them or needs them, the exception being law enforcement or really paranoid real estate lawyers (in one case).
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    I have had a Toshiba HDD out and played with it. Lots of partitions, very little readable data except for the web ui and the e-file thumbnails. File Share was readily available but all of this easily obtained information is just as easily obtained without even removing the drive from the machine and simply accessing it over the network. Because, that's how it's meant to be accessed.

I tried a file recovery program to find deleted files. I found quite a few, some of them were of some size so they could of been image data. I was unable to open any of the recovered files successfully.

I have downloaded several image recovery programs meant to be used on SD cards and the like. Some of them will rebuild TIFFS, JPG etc from deleted data on a drive so I will see what happens there...

Toshiba's run on VX Works so it would be interesting to find some kind of VX Works emulator and see if you could get any further there but that's a little more than I want to get into.

IMO it is not as easy as they make it look on TV. Most customers don't realize the drive has to be physically removed. They should be more worried about the fact that when I ask them if I can use their computer to "look at the copiers web interface" I am allowed to do so without a second thought. And most places are the same way with their servers, passwords, etc.
    I will not give you service manuals or firmware.

I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar
    I know I have a few HDD's that were in a Panasonic, but I never really hooked them up to explore them. I think one of them is a Seagate or Western Digital. I should stick it in an external case to see what happens.....

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Having talked with one of our in house technical gurus (who apparently has more time on his hands than he is willing to admit), some of what I though regarding KM drives was innacurate. Data is not necessarily written over right away in all cases. He had been mucking with this for a while and discovered that some files were partially overwritten, while others were fully intact, and some completely overwritten, with the exception of the stub in the allocation table of the drive. He is currently doing experiments on how files are written to, written over. It is a lengthy process apparently. If I hear more, I'll post what he found.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

merrick
    In the entry level computer technician course the Comptia A+ it states the only sure way to remove data from a hard drive is to physically remove the cover and remove the plates inside (or ad least disfigure it). one hard drive head can only read the plates from its own drive so one plate cant be put into another hard drive and be read.
    Now im not one to believe everything im told but im pretty confident with total destruction.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    theres a way to read the old 1's and 0's even if the drive has been overwritten multiple times. i forgot how exactly they do it but say a 1 is overwriting a 0. theres a certain magnetic change that occurs. by reading and recording these changes its possible to predict if it was a 1 or 0 under the top layer number. they can go 3, 4, maybe even 5 layers down from what ive read. now this is very expensive to do and requires a certain machinery to do it but it can be done. The only real way to completely destroy the information is destruction of the disk or degaussing (which removes all the magnetic patterns). I find it cheaper and more fun just to take a hammer to the disk

Just re-read AKStrub01's post and he has a little more technical of an explaination of how it works....

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    we have been doing some experiments on ricoh machines. we have not found anything readable on the drives. i have a couple of ones that i tried to read, couldn't get anything from them, so reformatted them and used them again. that doesn't mean some super hacker couldn't get any image data after a lot of work, but, the odd sare quite high. when we refurb a machine, we make sure to delete the doc server documents(if any)< and reformat the hdd.

if a customer requests it, we have a station in the shop set up where we remove the hard drive and do the data wip/over write thing.

I have been using DBAN (FREE) to scrub drives. It is a live disk. Using an old computer (I'm using and old PIII 500) boot the live disk, select drives to wipe and the type of wipe (ie DoD 3x), and wait. Takes several hours to do a drive. Leave it over night... Depending how many IDE's you have open, most have 4, so 1 for the CD drive and 3 open for drives to scrub.

Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing

Faster controllers with 80pin IDE cables are faster.
    Kittens give Morbo gas.

A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by df3036 View Post
    I have been using DBAN (FREE) to scrub drives. It is a live disk. Using an old computer (I'm using and old PIII 500) boot the live disk, select drives to wipe and the type of wipe (ie DoD 3x), and wait. Takes several hours to do a drive. Leave it over night... Depending how many IDE's you have open, most have 4, so 1 for the CD drive and 3 open for drives to scrub.

Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing

ive been using dban to wipe our drives also...do you get the option to do multiple hard drives at once? ive only used an old laptop (due to the fact it takes so long and no one uses that particular laptop)but maybe ill switch to a tower if multiples are possible.

Faster controllers with 80pin IDE cables are faster.
    ive been using dban to wipe our drives also...do you get the option to do multiple hard drives at once? ive only used an old laptop (due to the fact it takes so long and no one uses that particular laptop)but maybe ill switch to a tower if multiples are possible.