Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    OVERWORKED..UNDERPAID 50+ Posts stig's Avatar

1 print job stopping everything?

does anyone know any settings that will allow all print jobs to continue to print after 1 print job fails to print.. its a ricoh 1018 with the driver on a windows 2008 server (PCL) and about 10 pcs printing to it. sometimes an error comes up when someone tries to print and then from then on nobody can print until the print job is cancelled from the pc that sent the job. thanks

The rint job is probably stopping because there is a miss matched paper size, f this is the case then go into printer settings & find the SUB PAPER SIZE & set it to auto, that will force print jobs out on to either A4 or A3

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts
    1 print job stopping everything?

This is a very good topic. I Work on Canon models. And from time to time I see this. I don't think there is anything that can be done. Except like scoonered mention. If that's the situation But, for the majority, if a job fails to print,it will block other jobs.
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    With only 10 users, I'd recommend switching everyone to a "Local Printer". It will save lots of headaches down the road.

Once a job is stuck, I don't know of any way to get the ones behind it to print. You have to find the computer with the offending job and cancel it, or on the server stop the print spooler service, delete the files in the spool folder, then restart the spooler service.

The only way I know of that other printer jobs will print even if one job is frozen in the queue is if they have a higher priority in the Printer Properties under the Advance tab. But unless you can predict which computer will fail and give it a higher priority, it would be useless.

ESA
    I would agree with first responce. I have had the same issue when incorrect paper size is used whole queue is done. I would looking at the person that is losing their job the most. This is likely your person. Maybe working in foreign sized paper.

OVERWORKED..UNDERPAID 50+ Posts stig's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies guys, I've already set the sub paper size so the paper mismatch seems to be ok. I'm gonna install it locally as D_L_P suggested but one thing I have noticed is that the MFP (sorry its a Gestetner 1802) driver port is 10001 on the server and when I install it the default port is 9100 and so it doesn't print. Whats the best way to change the port when loading the driver on each PC locally.? Just for now I've asked everyone who prints to make sure if the job doesn't print to cancel it ASAP ..but you know whats gonna happen.....Any way thanks again

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Scoonered is spot on, typically paper size mismatches are caused by the application/driver send the job as letter. Enabling 'Sub Paper Size ' resolves this.

However, there are other mismatches between the application/driver and MFD that can cause similar issues. These can be resolved by enabling 'Autocontinue'. (User Tools, Printer Features, System.)
    With this set to any value besides off; should a mismatch occur the MFD will hold the print job for the specified time interval allowing the user to select an alternative paper source. Once the time limit has elapsed the job is automatically deleted allowing other queued jobs to be printed.

One word of warning should you set this would be to advise users. Otherwise you'll be getting calls for print jobs disappearing. If so check the printer error log. The two most common errors are 'Error Code 91' and 'Error Code 92'. These indicate a job that has been reset either by a user at the MFDs ops panel or autoimatically by the MFD.