Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts digicor's Avatar

cmd screen question

I can be on a puter in an office pull up cmd scrn ping ex:smtp-out.netprovider.com and it will give me the dns to the mail server, on the very next workstation in the same office on the same system it will bring up an error msg, no such cmd line, bla bla blah.... what gives?anyone know why i can reach the mail server on one cmd scrn and not another in the same office on the same network? is there a permission fo r the cmd screen? i have seen virus do this to infected puters, but these seem to be un infected... hmmmmm
    thsnks for any answers, also, this did this on a 64bit win7 to me as well, but not the xp 32bit in the same office..i guess the 64bit is more snobby??LOL

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    It is possible that the computer not allowing you to do this because a network guy put in place a GPO to prevent that, though truth be told, I cannot fathom why be selective.

More likely the program "ping.exe" is not in the windows/system32 folder, or in the case of 64bit, Windows\SysWOW64 folder.

Or there is a possibility the path statement within windows has become damaged. Try opening up the command window and cd to either of those directories ( C:\ typically the drive) and execute the ping command from there.

Doing a search (with display system contents enabled) should show you the file.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts digicor's Avatar
    thanks, good stuff.