Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Ricoh MP4500 config question

Hey everyone! I'm trying to clear or disable something on the Ricoh MP4500 print option. On the config page under Interface Info, the first line says Access Control Range1, then 2 in the next column. I checked with another madel with the same options, and this feature isn's active. So I pined away in the admin and service modes but couldn't locate how to disable this. Any ideas?

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holesaletech27 View Post
    Hey everyone! I'm trying to clear or disable something on the Ricoh MP4500 print option. On the config page under Interface Info, the first line says Access Control Range1, then 2 in the next column. I checked with another madel with the same options, and this feature isn's active. So I pined away in the admin and service modes but couldn't locate how to disable this. Any ideas?
    ("Off the top of my head") probably refers to the admin settings level... U/tools (Login!) System settings / admin / machine management ... confirm the "Available settings". Try setting to just "Adminstrator Tools" or even turning "Off" to test. If it's set to "General Settings" you may be locked out (?)
    Can you access via W I M?

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    Access Control Ranges can be set to limit which ranges of IP addresses are allowed to communicate with the machine. Leave them blank unless you want to use such limits. There is no reason to try to 'disable' them, they are a security measure to limit access should ranges of IP's be entered. For instance, the LAN has two segments on different subnets connected by a bridge or router, say segment A for the engineering and segment B for the marketing. The marketing folks have a really nice machine, say a Ricoh, and the engineers have some old POS like a Canon. The management has received complaints that the engineers are using the marketing machine, so you would enter the range of IP's that the marketing folks use in the Access Control Ranges to have the Ricoh disallow the print jobs from the engineers and force them to use their own machine.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ok that makes sense. Tcs02--yes I've been able to access the admin mode and such. I've been looking for that area (for Access Control) but cannot locate it. I'd be happy to just zero it out, but I don't know where to do that! lol Anyone know?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I've also hooked it up USB and could not find this setting anywhere. I'm totally open to suggestions as to where this feature may be located...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    The only way I have managed to configure access control ranges on Ricoh MFD's is by using telnet. It's not as cuddly as WIM but it gets the job done.

From a command prompt (XP):
    (If you are using Windows Vista, you must enable the telnet server and telnet client beforehand)

Use the IP address or the host name of the machine to start telnet.
    % telnet “IP address”

Enter user name and password.
    This will be the machne administators account. (Typically admin/null).

To configure accesss control for IPv4.
    msh> access ID range “start-address end-address

Example: to specify accessible IPv4 addresses between 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.20:
    msh> access 1 range 192.168.0.10 192.168.0.20

To clear all ranges.
    msh> access flush

Quit telnet.
    msh> logout

Then save the changes..

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Holesaletech27 View Post
    Ok that makes sense. Tcs02--yes I've been able to access the admin mode and such. I've been looking for that area (for Access Control) but cannot locate it. I'd be happy to just zero it out, but I don't know where to do that! lol Anyone know?
    It is all zeros by default. Are you having a specific issue you believe this feature will solve?

From the OP manual:

Access Control
    This can be specified by the network administrator.
    The machine can control TCP/IP access.
    Limit the IP addresses from which access is possible by specifying the access
    control range.
    For example, if you specify the access control range as [192.168.15.16]-
    [192.168.15.20], the client PC addresses from which access is possible will be from
    192.168.15.16 to 192.168.15.20.
    Limitation
    ❒ Using access control, you can limit access involving LPD, RCP/RSH, FTP,
    IPP, DIPRINT, Web Image Monitor or DeskTopBinder. You cannot limit the
    Monitoring of SmartDeviceMonitor for Client.
    ❒ You cannot limit access involving telnet, or SmartDeviceMonitor for Admin,
    when using the SNMPv1 monitoring.
    1 Open a Web browser.
    2 Enter "http://(machine's-address)/" in the address bar to access the machine.
    3 Log onto the machine.
    The network administrator can log on using the appropriate login user name
    and login password.
    4 Click [Configuration], click [Security], and then click [Access Control].
    The [Access Control] page appears.
    5 In [Access Control Range], enter the IP addresses from which access to the ma-
    chine is permitted.
    6 Click [Apply].
    Access control is set.
    7 Log off from the machine.
    Reference
    For details, see the Web Image Monitor Help.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    wow, thanks for the great info... Yes a cust. bought this machine from us(dealer) and their IT's say its broke because the ranges are set. And for whatever reason the techs that work there can't figure it out... So, I was forced to swap the controller, now Im was stuck with the issue... lol I'll give this a go and update on how it worked...

Quote Originally Posted by Choro1dal View Post
    The only way I have managed to configure access control ranges on Ricoh MFD's is by using telnet. It's not as cuddly as WIM but it gets the job done.

From a command prompt (XP):
    (If you are using Windows Vista, you must enable the telnet server and telnet client beforehand)

Use the IP address or the host name of the machine to start telnet.
    % telnet “IP address”

Enter user name and password.
    This will be the machne administators account. (Typically admin/null).

To configure accesss control for IPv4.
    msh> access ID range “start-address end-address

Example: to specify accessible IPv4 addresses between 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.20:
    msh> access 1 range 192.168.0.10 192.168.0.20

To clear all ranges.
    msh> access flush

Quit telnet.
    msh> logout

Then save the changes..
    Sorry to up this post but with this manipulation you come to save me my life this afternoon on a MPC3300. thank a lot.

Technician

Re: Ricoh MP4500 config question

Hi, I have MPC2500 which created access control range 1 to 5 by previose owner. How im going to delete it from MFP? now i cannot access the ip adress from computer too.

Urgently need help

Thanks