Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts
    What are differences Between PCL5e, PCL5c, and PCL6 Printer Command Languages.

There are different PCL drivers available for my Canon device. What are the differences between the PCL5e, PCL5c, and PCL6 printer command languages?

Answer :
    PCL commands are compact escape sequence codes that are embedded in a print job before being sent to a printer. PCL (Printer Control Language) is designed to provide an efficient way to control printer features across many different printing devices.
    PCL was created and developed by Hewlett Packard (HP). There are several major levels of PCL. The creation of these levels was driven by the combination of printer technology developments, changing user needs and application software improvements.

For more information on the history of PCL and the differences between the major PCL levels, please see HP's website (click the link below).
    HP Color LaserJet and LaserJet Series Printers - History of Printer Command Language (PCL) - bpl04568 - HP Business Support Center
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

At it's simplest, PCL 5e is for black & white printing, PCL 5c is for color printing, and PCL 6 (or PCL XL if its a Kyocera) is just the newest version that can be used for black & white or color printing.

When printing from some older applications, many problems can be resolved by reverting to the appropriate PCL 5e or 5c emulation.

How many times has a customer come to you and said "I can't print color on my color printer!", and they have set up a PCL5e emulation, or an HP laserjet 4 driver (duh! HP LJ4 is a monochrome printer!). =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    PCL5e is a trusty b/w driver, with small print data. PCL6 is good most of the time for Color and B/W if your printers doesn't start printing garbage.

Pcl5c, stay away it's just rubbish. Slow, much print data, louzy output. Bad colors, no smooth gradations.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Esentially all manufactures are putting all of their engineering efforts into PCL6 now.

It simply costs them too much to develop drivers for all equipment, every OS, and every version.

PCL5 is just along for the ride anymore. It is only there for legacy applications that won't play nice with PCL6.

The Ricoh RPCS driver is being phased out as well, along with the MiniDriver.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins