Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Kronic Copier Ninja 100+ Posts kronical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendri View Post
    It will put the document in a folder in the format you choose. TWAIN is basically a format like PDF, TIFF, or JPEG. If there is an application that requires it to be TWAIN, then you need the driver.
    TWAIN is NOT a format, it is a protocol. TWAIN is used to "Pull" scan from a device directly into a software application. 64 bit TWAIN drivers are rare at best, however many 32 bit TWAIN drivers will work in a 64 bit OS as long as the software app you are using is 32 bit software. i.e. Photoshop 32 bit with a 32 bit TWAIN driver will work on a 64 bit OS.

Quote Originally Posted by wizardjimmy View Post
    on step 2 - you may put it to turn off password protected sharing if your customer refuse to put a password...

also bear in mind some of the user may have changed their username without going through delete old-create new cycle... find out their old username using command prompt
    Yes you can, however this leaves your system wide open to intrusion, and as a field engineer and not the customers IT department, NOT a good idea.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Its good to know all the options available so we can work with the cust. IT person to work out any issues, for me scanning set up is becoming a headache that we dont benifit from because our maint program only charges per copy, not per scan

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer1087 View Post
    Its good to know all the options available so we can work with the cust. IT person to work out any issues, for me scanning set up is becoming a headache that we dont benifit from because our maint program only charges per copy, not per scan
    Yes this is definitely a new challenge for alot of service providers, some providers are working on adding a cost per scan rate to account for this. Currently we have a number of customers who are running thousands of scans per month while only outputting maybe a couple hundred pages. Sending faxes also falls under this challenge. Maybe forcing a transmission report for scans would help 'recover' the costs in the meantime.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    scan to folder issue w/64bit windows 7

BTW: as i stated in another Tread, if all else fails and you are tired of fuddling around with settings, take "Filezilla Server" (Freeware) and setup Scan to FTP, works like a charm for me
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

Service/IT/Integrator 50+ Posts DocuSystems's Avatar
    If TWAIN scanning is a must due to the MFP, and RICOH hasn't released drivers supporting Win 7/64, then perhaps you can talk the customer into setting up an old PC on the network which is 32 bit and using it as a sort of "TWAIN file server". Certainly cheaper than upgrading the MFP if cost is their primary concern. They could put the server next to the MFP and use them together.

Quote Originally Posted by herrmann View Post
    BTW: as i stated in another Tread, if all else fails and you are tired of fuddling around with settings, take "Filezilla Server" (Freeware) and setup Scan to FTP, works like a charm for me
    Sure, but keep in mind you are on a customers computer on the customers network. Unless you have special priveledges with this customer, you really have no right to install any kind of app on their systems. Keep the legal restrictions in mind here.

Quote Originally Posted by DocuSystems View Post
    If TWAIN scanning is a must due to the MFP, and RICOH hasn't released drivers supporting Win 7/64, then perhaps you can talk the customer into setting up an old PC on the network which is 32 bit and using it as a sort of "TWAIN file server". Certainly cheaper than upgrading the MFP if cost is their primary concern. They could put the server next to the MFP and use them together.
    VERY few MFPs and scanners out there have any kind of 64-bit TWAIN drivers available. This is because, as mentioned before, TWAIN is an old outdated technology. I do agree however that sometimes you are stuck with TWAIN scanners in majority of consumer scanners.
    Outside of this, take a note from Adobe - If your scanner does not support 64-bit TWAIN drivers, launch the 32-bit photoshop and use the 32-bit driver. Obviously this reference is directed at Photoshop users, however as long as the scanning application is a 32 bit application (Program Files x86) then it SHOULD work just fine with the 32 bit driver. Given that the driver itself will install on a 64 bit machine...

Otherwise, this is a very good suggestion.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar
    For most newer models, Ricoh has released a WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) driver to replace TWAIN drivers. They are also available in x86 and x64 versions. It works through Windows and just allows it to talk directly to the machine.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts ignacio.cortez's Avatar

Re: scan to folder issue w/64bit windows 7

I second HERMANN, FileZilla FTP (Open Source) Server is my greatest ally, I have setup clients on Panasonic and KyoceraMita MFPs with Scan-to-FTP, I prefer this versus SMB, specially on Enterprise clients, since they change their password every so often (if scanning to local desktop) you'd have to change the password on the profile if on Server, no big deal, but I still prefer FTP.