Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    scan to folder issue w/64bit windows 7

Re: scan to folder issue w/64bit windows 7

Or you can just use IIS which has an inbuilt FTP server and it runs as a service, not an application which means that it is running even when the PC isn't logged in.

Microsoft Internet Information Services.doc

I know the above document is for XP, but it is very similar to Windows 7. The only thing you then have to do for Windows 7 is to then open up the firewall for port 21 using the following commands:
    1. netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="FTP (non-SSL)" action=allow protocol=TCP dir=in localport=21
    2. netsh advfirewall set global StatefulFtp enable

If you want to read more on IIS 7 or 7.5, have a look at the following website as it is really useful Configuring FTP Firewall Settings in IIS 7 : FTP 7 for IIS 7 : Publishing Content to Web Sites : The Official Microsoft IIS Site
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Owner/Tech/Sales/Crazy 50+ Posts
    scan to folder issue w/64bit windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by ignacio.cortez View Post
    Scan to E-mail:

I've got a couple of clients that set their MFP to scan to a google account, I've advised them against it but that was their choice, it does work, however might have issues if google changes their SMTP ip address, since for some reason they were able to set it up entering the IP address instead of the smtp server name i.e. smtp.server.com

Scan to FTP:

There is no need to have an external FTP server, Filezilla FTP server has been a life saver for me, this can be loaded on the computer the client wants to have their scans sent to, it takes a few steps to configure and you're set, I like FTP specially on a Enterprise environment because if they change their windows password (periodic change) they do not have to worry about going to the MFP and make the change there, they can keep on using the ftp credentials, FileZilla ftp server is an Open Source software that is available for personal or commercial use same price (FREE) with the Open Source License, if you do not wish to set up FileZilla, most PC and MACs come with an FTP service, in PCs it is in the IIS service (might need to install addon from Windows CD) MAC's is File&Print sharing (newest OS has some issues but can be configured nonetheless.

any questions, I'd be more than happy to respond on configuration wise I do at least 1 or 2 a week, some times more, even my home MFP and Server are setup this way :-)

Have a great day.
    Hola Ignacio , both Posts are great and in detail.

We are having many issues when setting Scan to Folder using the SMB protocol , it seems to me that the protocol is not stable neither works uniformly though all OS platforms (Eg: very cumbersome setting on Mac OS x) .

We´ve been trying to implement FTP on most of our installations (very easy on Konica-Minoltas) , it seems to me better suited and faster . The issues we encounter is the FIX IP that the client workstation must have . Most of the small/medium customers do not have a IP policy and use the DHCP , in this way the workstation IP is assigned by the local router , in the event of the Router rebooting , it may assign a different IP to the previously used on the workstation and in this way the destination configured on the MFP would not work any more.

Is there any workaround/ setting to avoid the above?

tks in advance

Senior Tech 100+ Posts ignacio.cortez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leonardob View Post
    Hola Ignacio , both Posts are great and in detail.

We are having many issues when setting Scan to Folder using the SMB protocol , it seems to me that the protocol is not stable neither works uniformly though all OS platforms (Eg: very cumbersome setting on Mac OS x) .

We´ve been trying to implement FTP on most of our installations (very easy on Konica-Minoltas) , it seems to me better suited and faster . The issues we encounter is the FIX IP that the client workstation must have . Most of the small/medium customers do not have a IP policy and use the DHCP , in this way the workstation IP is assigned by the local router , in the event of the Router rebooting , it may assign a different IP to the previously used on the workstation and in this way the destination configured on the MFP would not work any more.

Is there any workaround/ setting to avoid the above?

tks in advance

Leonardo,

Not sure if you still need help with this or not, some how my notifications did not trigger when you replied to this post.

Make sure you always work with their IT (If it is internal, if it is outsorced, make sure you talk/work with the person in charge)
    Even though the Networks have a DHCP pool, they normally do not use all IP addresses.
    I.E.
    192.168.1.2 --> 192.168.1.50 Servers
    192.168.1.51 --> 192.168.1.100 Printers
    192.168.1.101 --> 192.168.1.200 DHCP Pool
    192.168.1.201 --> 192.168.1.250 Unused/Specailty Devices

You can either, setup a regular PC in the "Servers" or "Unused/Specialty" ranges Manually
    just copy the rest of the settings (Subnet Mask, Gateway, DNS1 & 2, etc)
    You can also work with the IT to setup the service on the Server, Servers should have a static IP so you would not encounter
    the issue there either.
    As far as security, Yes, some people noted that FTP port is not secure, which is correct, since the login credentials are sent
    in plain text, however, this would be an internal solution, which means, most of the users in that network will probably already
    have access to that folder. However, some MFPs are already equipped with encryption and as long as the FTP solution you select
    does have the same type you should be able to configure that as well.

An alternate, that worked for some of my clients was a NAS (Network Attached Storage)
    They set it up on their network, setup all the user logins and also manage access. The customer/users
    will be able to access it as a regular network drive, and you can setup the scan upload from the MFP through FTP or even SMB
    Scan to email, still somehow has more moving parts and sometimes becomes more of a headache, however I do suggest
    if you go that direction, you can actually setup an SMTP relay to email to the user, but again, work with the IT person, because,
    as you know, Murphy will visit you when you least expect it, and as he says, anything that can go wrong, WILL!
    Plus, plain SMTP is also not secure, just like plain FTP the credentials are sent in plain text, you'd need to configure something else
    to send in SSL or TLS for an added security. Some solutions to work with GMAIL or OFFICE365 you might need to setup a relay PC to
    be able to email to them using these encryption methods (such as OpenSSL) which can communicate in Plain as well as SSL and TLS

hopefully you already got this going, if not, hopefully this gives you a bit more information to get it going