Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

scan to folder issue w/64bit windows 7

Hi everyone. I'm getting a lot of complaints from clients who upgrade to windows 7 64bit OS that the network twain type scanner will not scan to folder any more. After a little research it looks like there is not any twain drivers available that will work with 64bit but can find them for 32bit. Is this true and does it affect the ability to scan to e-mail?

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The first question is why do they need TWAIN scanning ? It's being phased out for the most part. Some older software programs use TWAIN but anything new wouldn't. Scanning to email is a totally separate protocol.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I'm far from an expert on this subject but as I understand it if you want to scan a document and have it sent to say one of many account folders, dont you need a twain driver to get into whichever app. the folder is in? Forgive me if its a dumb question.....I can repair this stuff but not use it.

No, SMB (server message block) is scanning to a folder. It will put the document in a folder in the format you choose. TWAIN is basically a format like PDF, TIFF, or JPEG. If there is an application that requires it to be TWAIN, then you need the driver.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Thank you for that.........now i'm only slightly confused instead of totally confused. We still have 2 clients waiting for me to tell them why they can't scan to folders after they changed to windows 7. They get a message saying no scanner available. Any ideas? Printer works fine.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    What model of machine. Almost all the Konica Minolta machines have smb scanning built in and it the one touches are set up then a simple press of a button and it is where it needs to be.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Two different accounts. One is the ricoh 2045 and the other is the ricoh1027.

Windows 7 is a little tricky but shouldn't be a problem. I'm not familiar with Ricoh, so I'll have to defer on someone as to how to set it up.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

I've had problems setting up scanning on a Ricoh MPC2050 and didn't manage to make it work (to be honest I didn't try it again since it was only one PC in the midst of many 32bit machines).

Anyway, with Ricoh, when having trouble scanning to folder, the first thing to do is to upgrade the machine's firmware, since Microsoft will often make slight updates to the SMB protocol, and so you need to keep the machine up-to-date. But I can't tell you for sure if that's the definite solution.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I don't think the 2045 and the 1027 support scanning with smb. That's why they need to use twain. There are no 64 bit twain drivers for any 64 bit operating system, even XP 64 bit. Maybe it's time for the customer to upgrade to a new mfp.