Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Konica 7135/IP 423 Printing Issues

Im more of a kyocera guy so this is some unfamiliar territory for me...I went out just to set up a Konica 7135 just for printing, easy right? Well it started out bad, everytime i changed the port on the machine it would increase the number by 1 (is this normal?). I put in 9100 and the status page would say it was 9101. I put in 9099 and the status page said it was 9100. This was fine and dandy but it only worked with 9101, no biggie thats fine.

But then all the drivers i downloaded from the konica minolta website kept giving me problems. The first PS one i tried kept printing out 20 pages of garbled junk when i went to print a test page, tired the PCL driver listed and the computer kept crashing everytime i would access the properties of it. Same thing happened on another computer, so im assuming its the driver. Eventually i broke down and just used an HP driver for the time being. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Print to port 10001 (leave the default 10000 on the printer configuration) or use LPR and use Port1 as the queue.

As for the driver, you can only use PS if the machine has the optional Postscript installed. If the PCL driver crashes, then it's a problem - what OS are you using?

I tried one of HP's laserjet drivers (LJ5 I think) that allowed me to use duplex, but you need to find out for yourself.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Print to port 10001 (leave the default 10000 on the printer configuration) or use LPR and use Port1 as the queue.

As for the driver, you can only use PS if the machine has the optional Postscript installed. If the PCL driver crashes, then it's a problem - what OS are you using?

I tried one of HP's laserjet drivers (LJ5 I think) that allowed me to use duplex, but you need to find out for yourself.
    Why does it increment the port by 1 though...i thought that was goofy. I originally tried the postscript driver and just on a test page it would shoot out about 20 pages worth of Postscript code, but it was the "test page". Using the PCL driver the computer would just keep locking up when accessing anything on the driver or printing to it, it was just on a 32 bit xp machine so it wasnt anything special really. Ill give that LJ5 one a go to allow duplexing, but ideally I would like to use the actual Konica driver.

Try to get other versions of the driver, but if you see that you can use all the functions you need when using an HP driver, there's nothing to worry about. Keep in mind that you'll need to resort to HP drivers as soon as your customer upgrades the OS to Vista or 7.
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Yea i think the HP drivers should be sufficient for them. The machine was donated to them and theres a total of about 5 other printers in the same room they can use if need be, i was just wondering if the port changing thing was normal for this model or if the drivers were known to have issues. Thanks for the help!

It's normal. Don't ask me why, I guess the engineer who worked that out was having some brain diarrhea at the time.
    If you want to use the good old 9100, just set the controller to 9099 and you're done.
    Mascan42

Ibid