Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Ricoh C5501 and Windows Authentication

We have a customer that we just set up with a Ricoh C5501. We set them up using Windows Authentication that way we can just designate certain groups to be able to print and copy in color, etc...

For the copying it works great. However, when it come to printing, the Ricoh just falls down. Is it mandatory that the user puts in their Windows credentials in the driver? This is a big problem that it can't use the Windows AD for this. Just use the credentials of the user that is logged into the computer. This still means that the admin is going to have to touch each PC and with this customer there are A LOT of computers.

Then there is the case that after 30, 60 or 90 days or whatever that the password expires and when the happens...the user can't print and they are placing services calls. Or they are bugging the admin.

Is there no work around for this or is this just the way it is with the Ricoh?

The HP that we replaced had this functionality so I know it's possible at least in that realm.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Ricoh C5501 and Windows Authentication

If you download the Print Driver Customization Tool from the Ricoh site you can customize the driver to use Single Sign On that will work with AD.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Technician

Thanks for the info KneB. However, I can get it to pull in the name but I still have to enter in the password for that user. I was able to have a popup dialog to enter the password before printing but this would be a hassle as well IMO.

Maybe I got the wrong editor? I got the "Default Editor Version 2.0.0.0 and Manual for PCL Driver Customization (32bit Version)". Is that what you were referring to?

The place where I edited the driver was under "Advanced Options". I checked "User Authentication" and then clicked the "Limitation Settings" at the bottom. From there I check the box at the bottom that says "[Login User Name] is always [WindowsLoginName]"

Like I said, this takes care of the username but the password is still and issue. Did I do something wrong or miss a step?

Thanks in advance!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

No, you did it right, and that is the right editor.

I'm not sure right at the moment how you can get what you want.

If I figure anything out, I'll post it here.

Thanks.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Technician

Well, just in case someone else is looking for the answer, here is what I got.

1. You need the utility "Print Driver Editor version 1.0.1.0 (Newer Models)"
    2. Download the driver you want to edit
    3. Install the printer just as normal
    4. Run the editor and choose your printer
    5. Make any settings that you want as far as "Black and White" default, etc...
    6. Choose the second tab that says "Option Configuration"
    7. Click on the bottom section that says "[Single Sign-On Authentication] Dialog and select "Login User Name"
    8. Save that file
    9. Go into the folder that you are working with and find the file with the extension ".rfc" This is just an XML document.
    10. Under the section that has the "loginusername" add the following line :
    <item defaultstring="password" strore="yes"/>
    11. Save that file
    12. Delete your printer and reinstall with the new driver.

A dialog will pop up the first time and ask for the password but it will store the password. It will not pop up any more unless the password for the user changes. Below is the complete "rcf" file that I used for the C5501 I was working on:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <rcf version="1.0">
    <devicesettings drivername="RICOH Aficio MP C5501 PCL 6" independent="yes">
    <item name="colorbw" value="blackandwhite"/>
    <item name="userauthentication" value="on"/>
    </devicesettings>
    <popupbeforeprint type="singlesignon">
    <item defaultstring="loginname" name="loginusername"/>
    <item defaultstring="password" store="yes"/>
    </popupbeforeprint>
    </rcf>

Hope that helps someone else. I banged my head against the wall trying to figure that out. The documentation on doing this is a little less than par IMO.