Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Great question DAZ! And timing... I just had this conversation today with a customer while doing some training on a MPC 3000. Of course it wouldn't work for all accounts, but would be a nice feature none the less. Bear in mind that most of Ricohs newer machines are limited to 2000 E-Mail address on the HDD.

Another way that someone might want to look into this would be updating the address book of the MFP with CSV files. You could export the names you want in the MFP from the LDAP server list into a CSV file. Then, import that file to the machine through the web interface of the MFP. Only thing is... Can LDAP servers export their databases into CSV files? If not, what about converting the database file to a CSV, then edit it?

This has me thinking about as much as reading Brian Greene's "Fabric of the Comos"

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    Admins don't want to spend time updating each MFD they simply want destinations updated automatically from a central point (active directory).

So you would simply bang in the LDAP server details and have the MFD display A-Z lists directly from LDAP on demand.

Maybe have MFD cache the results temporary for 1-60 mins.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Yeah, I see what your saying DAZ. I total agree with you also. Sometimes though, I tend to take an idea and instead of building on it or whatever I run with it. This normally leads to my ramblings above.

I did find that my idea was already done so... "The Network Configuration and Address Book Editor allows administrators to copy address books from other devices or lists stored within Excel or other data file formats directly to the device from remote terminals." - Panasonic DP-C354

But, after several Google searches, I was unable to find a MFP that automatically populated a MFP's address book through a LDAP server or Active Directory.

Lightbulb

Hmmm I couldn't find anything on google about it either.
    Just that LDAP is used as a search tool or for user authentication.

But a customer told me his Xerox definely uses LDAP to auto populate scan destinations.
    And everytime he adds or deletes a user on Win2k3 AD the MFD is automatically updated.

• Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    LADP Server, Active Directory, email addresses

The job accounting codes can be easily imported or exported via CSV file on Copystar/Kyocera using KM-Net for Accounting. If this were a Copystar/Kyocera I think it would depend on the model, if email addresses could be imported/exported. For example, on the Falcon III series machines the send/fax functions are fully accessible via the web interface, and likely could be populated easily. I'm not so sure about the Voyager E series machines. There is limited access to the fax/send functions.

Another possibility is backing up email addresses to a compact flash card, moving the card to another like machine, then exporting.

Technician
    Many MFPs do not directly pull from LDAP since it depends on many things:

-Type of LDAP (Active Directory, eDirectory, OpenLDAP)
    -LDAP connection protocol
    -Does the customer have a customized LDAP configuration?
    -Values in a non-standard location of LDAP

I'm sure some one some where has written a script to pull AD names and populate them into the WIM of a device.

LDAP

Sales is correct, LDAP can be used for that copier to import addresses to the op panel. It requires the LDAP converter, and the PDF instructions for installation. Falcon 3 does not require the converter but you need the same instructions to get an idea how it works. Also, if you can't get that to work, you can try importing a .csv 'comma delimited" file, but it requires the database editor.
    Programmers don't die, they gosub without return...

I was at the customer in question today and he showed me how LDAP works on his Xerox.
    It is only used as search tool the same as our Ricoh machines so I configured his MPC4500 to do the same.
    The LDAP search results can be imported to the local address book with a few button presses, so they seemed happy with that.