Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    This one's for you network guys ...

Re: This one's for you network guys ...

This happened to me but their IT staff was on top of it and determine their network saw the protector as a "rogue switch" In other words data was cut off assuming a hacker had introduced an unauthorized device.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Way back when the Canon iR600 was a novelty (maybe 1998?) I had a "no connection" call.

About one out of every 10 pings was successful - the others timed out.

The IT admin was calling our machine a "very expensive piece of %*#@", and so on.

It took about 3 minutes to find that the machine (quite the heavy beast), had been rolled over the patch cable and severely pinched it. A new cable was all it took.

No "sorry", no "oops", no nuthin'. What a jerk.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts TennWalker's Avatar

I have had similar problems with various branded Windows Servers. In one location, the server would become disconnected with the filter in place. I tried different patch cables, Cat 5e Cat 6, traded out different non-managed switches, and different branded UPS devices. We used Gigabit switches and Gigabit NIC card in the server. I even moved the server to the part of the building that housed the switches and connected from the switch to the server, the problem remained. I called CDW about this and they could not provide an answer either. I did notice that my laptops and other workstations worked correctly. So, in the end I just installed a new NIC card and decided to abandon the built in Ethernet adapter. I can't explain this other than some internal architecture that does not play well with UPS devices.

Obviously, we cannot trade out the copier NIC's with different brands and it certainly isn't as cheap. I wish you luck in your quest! Without the filter in place we all cringe a little with each electrical storm!
    I thought I was getting wiser as time went on... I now realize I am just getting older.

Technician

I've been advised not to use the cables that come with new surge protectors - they are of very poor quality and generate a lot of weird service calls. I had one cable that plastic end came off as I was trying to take cable out of bag it came in. Same goes for phone and network cables.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copres View Post
    I've been advised not to use the cables that come with new surge protectors - they are of very poor quality and generate a lot of weird service calls. I had one cable that plastic end came off as I was trying to take cable out of bag it came in. Same goes for phone and network cables.
    This one's new to me. I must have installed 1000's of the standard enclosed cables. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Funny how the copy techs stepped up, yet the network professionals are strangely silent.
    Are we talking about professional secrets here? Let the copy techs stumble around in the dark for a while. Maybe it will buy us some time until we can fix it.

=^..^=

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

yet the network professionals are strangely silent.
    DO we have those here?

Hans

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Funny how the copy techs stepped up, yet the network professionals are strangely silent.
    Are we talking about professional secrets here? Let the copy techs stumble around in the dark for a while. Maybe it will buy us some time until we can fix it.

=^..^=
    Actually I was told about faulty cables from new surge protectors by IT tech from Konica/Minolta. Her exact words were "try to use old customer own cables as these are giving us all kinds of problems". I was delivering and installing new equipment for them at that time. I have not heard about that myself in a long time too, this problem may be recent development as manufacture changed vendors in an attempt to cut costs to save money... I am for using surge protectors as they do work in not only protecting copiers from lightnings and such but also in reduction of weird service calls.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

=^..^=
    Don't know for sure if this is relevant.
    I had a (Ricoh) MP1600 where the customer was getting random jibber on the fax and scanning.
    I found out they where using one teleco line into the building with both phone and broadband on the one line. This is common in Australia. However the customer removed the phone-line broadband filter splitter box from the end for the teleco line. When removed, this allows broadband communications to interfere directly with the voice/fax communications at the same time. Normally the broadband will not interfere with fax and voice comms if the filter unit is insitu in the phone line.

I have had these broadband filter boxes fail and they needed replacing.

Does your current problem carry both phone(telephony) and broadband down the same cabling ?

Could it be something simple like a bent pin touching inside an RJ45 connector ?
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Does your current problem carry both phone(telephony) and broadband down the same cabling ?
    They do, but it's VOIP. Do you think there could be some sort of crosstalk?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Could it be something simple like a bent pin touching inside an RJ45 connector ?
    With two cables within the same building and IP range having the same symptoms, I'm thinking that's unlikely. But it's something I hadn't thought of. I've come across this on RJ11 (phone) jacks, which get even more abuse than the network connections. =^..^=