Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar

Ricoh Scan to NCP - Update

This is a carry over from a conversation that took place in this thread by blackcat... LADP Server, Active Directory, email addresses

I had a chance to get this up and running for the customer I mentioned in the thread above. I also stated I would let you guys know how it turned out, so... here I are...

So, after talking with the customer face to face, what the customer wanted was 5 custom buttons on the scan display to point to different locations and use Scan to NCP to do it.

So, what I suggested was adding users to the machines address book and give the title of each user a destination title, such as Metafile Sales, Metafile Shipping, Sales (volume on Novell Server), etc... We made sure to specify that each was in the Freq list and placed all other users in there respective title list. With each of these set up, we designated each with the paths to each of the individual folders located on the Novell Server. We added each machine, as users, on the Novell Server and assigned each a username and password, which was programmed in as part of the NCP set up procedure.

That's it! Now, when you walk up to a machine and press the scanner key of the left of the LCD display, you see 5 destination choices, which would normally have titles such as Bob or Mary or whatever. In other words, instead of giving normal people names to the user account, we gave a working Novell volume name. And instead of pointing to a individual folder on a single pc, we simply pointed to a volume on the server that everyone in a giving department would have access to.

So! It was really no big deal. With that said, there were some issue's with a few of the machines not being able to see far enough into the system tree. This should be resolved with a firmware update, which is not noted anywhere in the firmware histories that I have read. I just set @Remote to update the firmware with the latest and greatest and we will see how it goes.

One other thing that came up, when talking with the IT person, was his frustration with the different lay outs of each machine. Not just at the machine display, but from web image monitor as well. And to be honest, I couldn't agree more!! Well, I got to thinking on the drive there that he could use Smart Device Monitor for Admin. This would allow him to make all the address book additions for each machine, with the same interface on every one. He could also back up and restore the address book for each machine from here too. After I showed him this, he was flabbergasted and asked why we haven't told them about this tool sooner. I just shrugged my shoulders... what else was I suppose to say, "Ancient Chinese Secret!"?

Anyway, if there's any other happens on this subject I will update if needed.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Props 2 U !! although I don't see much NCP what you describe is pretty standard stuff with SMB and FTP. Also SDM admin is way under used in most placements, it's a great tool. As for how far the unit see's in the tree there is a limit, and I don't recall exactly what it is but I have been able to enter the direct path in that case and reach the destination.
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Congrats!

Kyocera Mita has a similar utility called Address Editor. When the scanner IP address is entered & start editing is clicked it reaches out to the scanner to pick up the current address settings. From there the contents can be edited and sent back to the scanner. It then asks of you want to save. Having saved all previous edits, any previous edit can be pushed back the this scanner or any other Kyocera Mita product. Wonderfully useful after turning ON then OFF Enterprise Mode (which completely wipes clean the scanner NIC).

Congrats on a successful install and impressing the customer!

TB - Yeah, it turned out to be pretty simiple. Very standard stuff. This guys have never taken care of MFP's, only HP's, so all this is really new to them. So, the way they look at things are pretty different. I just had to reinterpret the idea they had on paper.

BC, that is a very cool feature! I really wish there was a utility we had similar to that.

Think! Think! Think!

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by unisys12 View Post

So! It was really no big deal. With that said, there were some issue's with a few of the machines not being able to see far enough into the system tree. This should be resolved with a firmware update, which is not noted anywhere in the firmware histories that I have read. I just set @Remote to update the firmware with the latest and greatest and we will see how it goes.
    Hate to dig up an old thread here, but I did say that I would update this when something of interest came up. Well, updating the firmware didn't solve the problems with seeing far enough into the Novell tree. Japan had to write custom firmware for their environment. It was a little trial and error, but they got it perfect the second time. For all four of the main products this customer is using, it works perfectly now. That would be the Savin 8055, 8035, 9021, 3535.

The customer is happy as a ginger bread man in a button factory!

VitaminBeer

Well done,

Hello

Congratulations for getting NCP to work correctly.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a white paper for this method?

I have managed to find good ones for scan to email and ftp.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks for your time,

VB,

I sent a PM to V Beer.

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

unisys12, did you have a white paper for scan to NCP on Ricoh machines? I'd love to get my hands on it if you have something like that.

I've been running into issues of not being able to see far enough down the tree, even after updating to the firmware that's supposed to help with that.

Thanks

yes, there's a white paper, but there's a limitation to the depth that the MFP can see into the directory tree. What you have to do is actually enter the full path name into the destination location. Then perform a test scan. And if everything with authentication and spelling is good, it should work. I have actually ran into the same problem at two different schools.

If you find that the connection fails, even if all info is correct, then move the destination folder closer to the root (top of the directory tree). Like say, had a number 1 to the beginning of the name.

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Schools are where I run into this problem also. I'll try your suggestions, Thanks.