Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    How to import CSV into Excel...

How to import CSV into Excel.

Have a huge list with names. I need easier access without having to scroll the whole list to find a name. It would be helpful if the list can be organized or have tabs to jump directly to the beginning letter. Can this be done by importing the CSV list into Excel and how to configure Excel so it has tabs with each letter?

I'm a total illiterate regarding Excel and consorts.

Hans

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: How to import CSV into Excel...

If the format of your CSV file is similar to:

item 1 name 1, item 2 name 1, item 3 name 1,
    item 1 name 2, item 2 name 2, item 3 name 2,
    item 1 name 3, item 2 name 3, item 3 name 3,

All you would need to do would be to right click the csv file and select 'open with' > 'Choose program' > MS Excel. Although this will not put the items into seperate tabs each record would be listed in an individual cell segragated into columms by item 1/2/3 and names 1/2/3 by rows. This could then be sorted or filtered within Excel.

If the format is not as above, open a blank workbook and use the wizard to import the csv file.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Like he says:
    You can just right-click your .csv file > Open With > Microsoft Excel for Windows. You'll have to re-size the column widths. The default is 64 pixels. At the top of the column just hover over the divider line between the colums until you see the re-size icon, then drag the line to the width you'd like. If you want to keep this format just File > Save As > select .xls format, name, and location > then Save.

Easy. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Actually CSV is a type of Excel file. It stands for Comma Separated Value or what many people refer to as "comma delimited." CSV files are used primarily for importing and exporting of data to and from software programs and websites. They're used instead of the standard excel spreadsheet format for several reasons, mostly because they only contain text data and disable any programming, macros, or graphics that can be in normal spreadsheets.

Chances are probable that you can simply open the CSV file using Microsoft Excel and simply do a File, Save As, and select the standard microsoft excel workbook format and BAM it's converted and probably in the right format.

Above and beyond that, you should read an Excel Beginners book or Excel for dummies book. I may actually have one or both in a PDF file format if you need one.

I HIGHLY recommend anyone in the business world learn how to use Excel. From what I have learned to do in it over the past decade or so (and I know a lot about it) is still what amounts to a "trivial nothing" compared to how powerful the program is and what you can really do with it. Actually there's a TON of things I use it for personally at home. Good stuff!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Hmm...I just thought of something...

Paul is the manuals guy...maybe I can be the "E-Book" guy...

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Thanks guys. The main problem is to have them sorted by name under a tab or register or so to avoid too much scrolling.

Hans

Field Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Once you have your file opened in excel, just click the top of the collum that contains the names, then click the AZ button to have that collum sorted , it should ask you if you want to exspand to move ajacent colums as well and say yes. that should do it.
    Online Store is closed. Chip resetting is a thing of the past! Thank you to all my past customers.
    Now into Ip TV KODI Boxes

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

Too much work!

If all you're doing is trying to find a name (or other data) in a csv file, open the file like usual and hit the ctrl and the 'f' key at the same time. Type the data into the search window that appears and it'll jump to it. For multiple instances of the same character string, just hit the "find next' button or the arrow (depends on what app you're using.