Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Angry C360 NetBIOS error..."NetBIOS name already used, contact an administrator"

Wondering if anyone has run into this before, I currently have 2 bizhubs (C360 and BH283, and yes, they have their own separate netbios and DNS names) on the same network that show the same error. I know the problem has to do with the client's server end but they are unwilling to change anything there at present so I am left looking on the machine ends for a solution. So far I have disabled WINS completely, turned off SMB print functions per a KMBS bulletin for this problem which didn't fix anything (SMB print settings is where the NetBIOS name can be stored and or changed on these machines in ADMIN>Network>SMB menu), turned off other name related protocols such as Bonjour printing, Appletalk, and just about everything else I can think of shy of turning off SMB client services completely (which does take care of the problem but obviously makes SMB scanning not an option which is what the customer uses so that is a no go). Does anyone know any other way around this shy of taking care of it on the print server end? These machines are shared off a WIN2003 server as far as printing goes, I know how to disable NetBIOS on the server side which I have suggested many a time and I'm sure would fix the problem but the server is remote and again the client (state gov't account) is unwilling to take care of it on the server end as of yet. The weird thing is I can't figure out why anyone wouldn't want to turn off NetBIOS under the LAN's TCP/IP properties as it is an archaic protocol really only needed by operating systems older than Windows 2000...which this client has none of these as they're name recognition is done strictly by a DNS server like 99.999% of networks out there, how frustrating.......arggggggghhh!!!! They think the problem is with the machines of course, and they worked fine but both started doing this after they made some network changes, go figure. Any ideas would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Captain Scott's Avatar

Re: C360 NetBIOS error..."NetBIOS name already used, contact an administrator"

I had something similar in that the IT department were not willing to co-operate with a similar message on a Ricoh copier. I asked them if they could reserve another IP address for the mac address of the copier as I needed it done for troubleshooting/tech support case. After they made the changes the message went away and in doing so proved that it was a server issue. Thought I would throw my two cents in, different aproach = result. Had the machines recently been moved to a different location/subnet?

Re: C360 NetBIOS error..."NetBIOS name already used, contact an administrator"

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post
    I had something similar in that the IT department were not willing to co-operate with a similar message on a Ricoh copier. I asked them if they could reserve another IP address for the mac address of the copier as I needed it done for troubleshooting/tech support case. After they made the changes the message went away and in doing so proved that it was a server issue. Thought I would throw my two cents in, different aproach = result. Had the machines recently been moved to a different location/subnet?

Hey thanks for the idea, it may be something I need to talk to their IT dept about and sounds like an easy fix if it works in my case. My customer had just replaced a server and reworked their network prior to these errors coming up, so it's pretty obvious it's a configuration issue on their end. Thank you, I will update if/when anything happens