Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Sharp MXM453N Retention Printing

hello guys, i am going to setup a retention printing at a client very soon, the customer basically wants to print from the pc's and when they walk up to the copier they want to put in there password and recieve there documents, my question is, if clients just leave there documents stored on the HDD, and dont retrieve it, is there a way to setup the MFP to delete the files or data after like 24hrs or so? and if thats possible, where can i find this on the webpage interface, thanks in advance, hope you guys understand the question.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts

Re: Sharp MXM453N Retention Printing

To my knowledge, the only way something like that would take effect is if the data security kit was installed. Job retention sits in the HDD until someone manually deletes it. After scouring the op manual, I'm not seeing it as a possibility.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

yea sounds logical, hope your wrong though , i'll take a look at the data security kits and see what i can find out, thanks again

I'll assume the above was meant in good faith. I do hope I'm wrong too, as I said, my experience with job retention is what it is at face value. Due diligence to keep their HDD clear seems to be their best course of action if they're to be using job retention as irresponsibly as you've suggested in leaving files on the HDD forever.

If I recall correctly however, when printing from the HDD there is an option to print and save or print and delete the data. That would be the closest thing I can see to being able to delete it after printing, however that's not related to your original question of just sending it to the copier and not printing it after (which really, why send it at all then?)

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

thank you very much Akitu, really apprecite your help pal

Quite welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by redserv View Post
    hello guys, i am going to setup a retention printing at a client very soon, the customer basically wants to print from the pc's and when they walk up to the copier they want to put in there password and recieve there documents, my question is, if clients just leave there documents stored on the HDD, and dont retrieve it, is there a way to setup the MFP to delete the files or data after like 24hrs or so? and if thats possible, where can i find this on the webpage interface, thanks in advance, hope you guys understand the question.
    I am not aware of Sharps but some Ricoh MFPs have that option. All the files are deleted by default after 3 days. It can be changed to 1 day. Ricoh calls the HDD a Document Server.

Technician

That model does not have the ability to delete its data after 24 hours etc, as stated you'd have to print and delete data.

Have you thought about Papercut as a solution or equitrac, these are both OSA based and store documents on a server then the MFP pulls them down when a client logs on, the software can then be set to delete old documents after a given period.