Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

booklet from publisher

Hi All,
    I had a problem printing booklet from MS publisher on a RICOH MP9001 using a shared driver(win2003 sp2) . they had Af2075 before which was working fine. I removed the old drivers as I had installed the new driver. but I couldn't make the publisher do booklet. It was a four page A3 doc which was supposed to come as a reduction booklet one single A3.it was coming as back to back on two A3 sheets. reinstalled the old 2075 drivers just to check what was diferent in that but now that was also not working. finally installed the local driver in user pc and that worked perfectly. I assume that the previous guy who installed 2075 had done the same thing . well, that took me out of problem but there may a situation where local driver installation is not possible. Any idea how the local and shared drivers function differently or have i missed anything in shared driver settings.
    thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    booklet from publisher

Lightbulb Re: booklet from publisher

Quote Originally Posted by brij View Post

Hi All,
    I had a problem printing booklet from MS publisher on a RICOH MP9001 using a shared driver(win2003 sp2) . they had Af2075 before which was working fine. I removed the old drivers as I had installed the new driver. but I couldn't make the publisher do booklet. It was a four page A3 doc which was supposed to come as a reduction booklet one single A3.it was coming as back to back on two A3 sheets. reinstalled the old 2075 drivers just to check what was diferent in that but now that was also not working. finally installed the local driver in user pc and that worked perfectly. I assume that the previous guy who installed 2075 had done the same thing . well, that took me out of problem but there may a situation where local driver installation is not possible. Any idea how the local and shared drivers function differently or have i missed anything in shared driver settings.
    thanks
    I know nothing about Ricoh machines however whatever default settings are set in shared driver apply to any user using this shared driver. Does the driver actually "know" that the booklet is installed on the machine? Have you got a tab in drivers with something like "Device options" or just option or any of that kind, maybe yo have to select it manually. If you have that, then it must just settings..I would not use 2-sided or whatever "logically" puts you to use 2-sided printing as this may have a counter effect on booklet. Just plain and simple everything to Default setting with providing of having booklet finisher available and choose booklet and that should be it.

Maybe publishing in to pdf first before you print and do booklet from pdf rather than Publisher it self!

Good luck!
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Technician

Re: booklet from publisher

thanks for the reply. it's not setting problem. I could see the finisher, booklet and centre staple. even after selecting all the right settings it was not working.
    thanks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Well there's actually two ways that the printer could have been set up to be "shared" on the network.
    1. It could have been installed as a primary printer on a pc on the network and set to be shared. This method actually requires that pc to be on when someone else on the network prints to that machine. All secondary pcs don't have the actual printer installed.

2. The printer itself is actually installed and setup as a network printer. This method allows all pcs on the network to be treated equal and independent of each other when printing to the printer. You should also be able to have different operating systems on the network without affecting printing to the printer. If set up properly any pc can almost instantly "install" the printer and print to it. Even if the pc and printer are in different countries, states, cities, or offices.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    booklet from publisher

I would install the driver on that workstation using RPCS or PCL6.
    I have seen IT install the universal driver and cause all kinds of wierd problems then blame the copier.
    Case in point is 3245 universal driver on 2003 server printing everything in color even though they select b/w.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Adeptus Mechanicus Magos 500+ Posts
    booklet from publisher

This probably isn't a driver problem but a problem with Publisher!

I use this program to do booklets, and when printing from Publisher even though the page is set up as a booklet you still have to tell it to duplex.

However when I go to do this Publisher tells me that it has to have duplexing set up but assumes the printer I am using is a home type inkjet and not a Canon iRC4580i I have parked next to my desk!!!

To get around it I just save or publish the document as a .PDF and then just duplex that when I need to print anything, it also has the advantage of the fact anyone can print the document and not having to have publisher on every computer.

I just have to find the time to workout how to set up Publisher for the duplex printing
    The impossible is easy - miracles take a little longer
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Publisher generally configures jobs to whatever the default printer on the computer is. Try setting the 9001 as the default and create the file clean with that change and see if anything works better.

Adeptus Mechanicus Magos 500+ Posts
    booklet from publisher

Quote Originally Posted by mjarbar View Post
    This probably isn't a driver problem but a problem with Publisher!

I use this program to do booklets, and when printing from Publisher even though the page is set up as a booklet you still have to tell it to duplex.

However when I go to do this Publisher tells me that it has to have duplexing set up but assumes the printer I am using is a home type inkjet and not a Canon iRC4580i I have parked next to my desk!!!

To get around it I just save or publish the document as a .PDF and then just duplex that when I need to print anything, it also has the advantage of the fact anyone can print the document and not having to have publisher on every computer.

I just have to find the time to workout how to set up Publisher for the duplex printing
    Found the problem was with the driver I was using, for some reason the driver when installed would not recognise that the machine had a duplex unit even though it is standard!!!

I reinstalled an earlier XP driver on my Win7 machine and now publisher works OK. Now I know that this was with Canon's and not Ricoh's but perhaps the same fix may apply!
    The impossible is easy - miracles take a little longer
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.