Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Canon iR2525 SMB Problem

Ok guys, I am hoping that someone out there can help me with this one.

I just installed a iR2525 and they are up and printing with Static IP and all was well.

When activated or turned on the SMB after installing the Color Send Kit License Key.

We then went to browse thier network which consists of three to four servers. All servers are running 2003 Server.

There is a particlar NAS Server they have thier whole operations set up to scan to from all departments with thier own departmental folder.

Here is where it gets tricky: We can see and get a login to all thier 2003 client servers just fine, but when we attempt to browse that NAS server to scan to a folder it will not see it. We have taken down all sercurity functions and firewalls. Given everybody permission and nothing on that one server which is a NAS. Still just get 0753 code from IP error but IP pings fine and prints ok.

Any thoughts will help because we have had thier It dept on it and our IT dept in it and nothing yet.

Another note: They do have a iR3300 in another department scanning to that NAS and we copied all the settings from it to attempt iR2525 and still nothing.

Bottom line, why can I SMB to three client servers on same network but not to this NAS server which all thier Ricoh machines and one Canon is scanning to.

Thanks guys.....hoping someone has seen something

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Canon iR2525 SMB Problem

Re: Canon iR2525 SMB Problem

sounds like a problem with the copier talking to the master browser list on the at server. Double check the following:

1. Try enabling SMB on the Canon device (ex. Additional Functions > System Settings > Network Settings > SMB Settings). Set the 'LM Announce' option to On. Reboot the Canon device. Note that this setting is not usually necessary, but may help in your specific environment.

2. If the network uses a WINS Server, configure the imageRUNNER with the IP address of the WINS Server (Hit Additional Functions, System Settings, Network Settings, TCP/IP Settings, WINS Configuration).

3. You can try rebooting one of the customer’s Windows computers to try to force a Master Browser election.

4. You can simply wait (ex. 15 minutes +). If the Master Browser is down, an election should occur after it times out.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Canon iR2525 SMB Problem

more info for 2003 server

Title : Push Scanning via SMB to a Windows 2003 Server

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem :
    When attempting to scan a document to a shared folder on a Windows 2003 Server in an Active Directory domain using SMB, the imageRUNNER is unable to logon. You can browse to the server, but cannot logon. When you enter the credentials (user name and password) to logon, they are rejected.

Solution :
    This only happens when Active Directory 2003 is used for the domain. When there is no Active Directory, it will accept the logon credentials. This issue is detailed in Microsoft's Knowledgebase in article # 811497 (Error Message When Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0 Client Logs On to Windows Server 2003 Domain ).
    It appears that Windows 2003 Server Active Directory requires SMB signing for secure communication, which the imageRUNNER cannot provide. This also applies to any member server in the Windows 2003 domain. You cannot scan to any server that is part of a Windows 2003 Active Directory domain. It also does not matter whether you use an administrator account or regular user account.

-----------------------------------------------------

* All Universal Send models released after 1/1/06 will support the digital signature requirement.

* UPDATE - Some models manufactured prior to 2006 also support the digital signature requirement of Windows Server 2003. Be sure the system software on these models has been updated to the latest versions. Models that support the digital signature requirement include:

- imageRUNNER C3100 (v41.02 or higher)
    - imageRUNNER C6800 (v11.01 or higher)
    - imageRUNNER C5800 / C3170 / C2620 / C5870 / C6870
    - imageRUNNER C3200 / C3220 (v54.01 or higher)
    - imageRUNNER 2270 / 2870 / 3570 / 4570 / 5570 / 6570
    - imageRUNNER 8070 / 9070 / 105+
    - imageRUNNER 7105 / 7095 / 7086

-----------------------------------------------------

There are two workarounds. One from the Microsoft article (see above) and another from our testing. This matter is undergoing further investigation at Canon.

I. This server feature can be turned off as the Microsoft article explains:

1. If the server is a member server, open the Group Policy Editor. Click Start, Run, type in gpedit.msc, and hit OK.

* If the server is a Domain Controller, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Domain Controller Security Policy. This will open the Default Domain Controller Security Settings window.

2. In the Group Policy Editor, open the Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options folder.

* In the Default Domain Controller Security Settings window, select Local Policies, Security Options.

3. Locate the 'Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (always)' policy setting, and then click Disabled or Do Not Configure.

* If this option is grayed out in your Group Policy Editor, you are not logged in as an Administrator or you are working on a Domain Controller. Either login using an Administrator account or use the Domain Controller Security Policy tool (as described above).

* Note - It may take some time (possibly hours) for the new group policy to be applied. After you make changes to group policies, you may want the changes to be applied immediately, without waiting for the default update interval (90 minutes on domain members and 5 minutes on domain controllers) or without restarting the computer. To make this update, at a command prompt, run the Gpupdate.exe utility. For more information on this utility, please see Microsoft KB article 298444 (A Description of the Group Policy Update Utility).

To apply the changes you made to the group policies immediately:

1. Click Start, then Run.

2. Type in 'gpupdate /force' and hit OK.

II. Use a client computer:

Another workaround is to scan to a share on a Windows XP or Windows 2000 client. Even if they are part of the Windows 2003 domain, you are still able to scan to them.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

The thing is that when I browse from the box, I can see the server but when I click on down arrow to search the NAS server folders, the listing is blank. Like it sees the NAS server on the network but will not browse into it to see folders......??? Does not even let me get to folder to request a login??

Another thing too, is that the other three servers I can to are running 2003 Server and it works fine. It is something about NAS Server I just do not know a whole lot about NAS....

Service Manager 100+ Posts

Does your NAS Server actually support SMB?? If it's less than a few years old it probably only supports CIFS, which has replaced SMB. Just a guess but the NAS is probably a unix or linux os, while server 2003 is windows.

A workaround would be to setup the NAS Server as a FTP server, then both the Canon and Ricoh support FTP.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Canon iR2525 SMB Problem

I can see the server but when I click on down arrow to search the NAS server folders, the listing is blank
    This shows, that the path to the nas server is correct and working
    just a shot in the dark: does the nas server has "hidden directorys" ?
    Try to enter the path to the nas server including a known directory and add a "$" sign behind the directory name, like "//nas_server/scan_directory$"

What happens?

BTW.: DNS setting is ok and running, or do you enter the ip instead of the name?
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

Hermann,

We are using name instead of IP, but they did tell me all thier Ricohs had to use IP and the other iR3300 on the system is using name...

Chameleon,

The other Canon and ricohs are set up SMB, so I am saying it does..Thanks!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Canon iR2525 SMB Problem

try ip instead of name, and try the "$" thing
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!