Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

NO Scan to desktop, email and Network Folder MAC OS?

hello guys i went to a client that just bought a new MX-4111N Mfp, they requested they had 5 Mac Machines and they wanted to have printing and scanning done from the mac to the Mfp, as i was not familiar with Using a Mac i got another tech to call sharp they told him that you can ONLY do "Scan To Ftp" while setting up scanning using Mac, can anyone confirm that this is true? it just dont seem to make much sense that ONLY scan to ftp would be the only option, if someone knows off Technical Bulletin to show how to scan to desktop or a Network Folder from Mac os i would be very Happy, thanks in advance.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar

Re: NO Scan to desktop, email and Network Folder MAC OS?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

ah, thanks alot buddy, i did find a bulletin on IDNC to scan to ftp,i just really wanted to know if i can scan to a network folder, desktop etc... thanks alot for helping out though

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    NO Scan to desktop, email and Network Folder  MAC OS?

Yes you can do it to a folder. Just Google Mac scan to SMB. I'd say FTP is easier, but I've done it to folders. Found it all online as I'm not a Mac guy either.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 100+ Posts DallasTech's Avatar

You can scan to folder via SMB or FTP. Just make sure you enable to SMB sharing in the sharing preferences if you go that route. You will also need the WINS/NETBIOS computer name that is under the advanced section of the network tab. I have done this on most OS X 10 Mac's.

The Bigger question is what version MAC OS X are you running if it is 10.7 then you are in a world of hurt,
    apple took out SMBA (needed for smb) and change it to their own SMBAX (i think thats right) now i work with konica minolta machine and had to wait for konica to release a firmware update before we could archive this.

Also in 10.7 apple took out the FTP GUI so if you want to using FTP you have to enable it via command line, but i found 1 more way around it and that was to run this app (makes the ftp changes for you just run it at start up, you can also start and stop it for security reasons) Download Lion FTPD Enable for Mac - Enable and disable ftpd on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. MacUpdate.com.

hope this helps

tigres

I have a CS-5050, and have it scanning to SMB on a SBS 2003 server box.

I will be replacing this server with an OSX server 10.7 for many reasons, but thats a whole other story. So, my question is the following:
    Do we know if I can use FTP scanning to OSX 10.7.3 server (as long as FTP is enabled as indicated above) and will it work on the 5050?

I am assuming of course SMB is not going to function. Emailing is a PITA, as my scans are generally huge; so Direct folder scanning is my need for sure.
    Another route I am thinking (if anyone has any input) is getting a time capsule (apple), and directly scanning to this SMB, but I am not sure if this can be set up or not.

Any direction before my setup would be very much appreciated! many thanks

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redserv View Post
    hello guys i went to a client that just bought a new MX-4111N Mfp, they requested they had 5 Mac Machines and they wanted to have printing and scanning done from the mac to the Mfp, as i was not familiar with Using a Mac i got another tech to call sharp they told him that you can ONLY do "Scan To Ftp" while setting up scanning using Mac, can anyone confirm that this is true? it just dont seem to make much sense that ONLY scan to ftp would be the only option, if someone knows off Technical Bulletin to show how to scan to desktop or a Network Folder from Mac os i would be very Happy, thanks in advance.
    Redserv,
    i know this is an old thread, i am posting this answer for future readers.

how would an MFP know if it were scanning to an email adress that was being accessed by a mac or by a PC? of course it can scan to email.
    take a look at my how-to library, it has lots of goodies for setting up scanning to email on Sharps, FTP scanning for macs on sharps, etc.

Skelton Business Equipment Houston Copiers

-colgrimes
    Skelton Business Equipment Houston Copiers