Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Pushing out a printer via a login script

Does anyone have some helpful info on how to push out a printer via a login script, i have to install a kyocera ta next week and I have just found out there are 60 users and their one and only IT guy is off on long term sick. I am off to the font of all knowledge 'google' after I have posted this, but if anyone can give me some pointers that would be great.
    The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    Pushing out a printer via a login script

Re: Pushing out a printer via a login script

Does this customer use a server and if so, what operating system is it running?

With Windows Server 2003, you could download and install "con2prt" which you can call from within a login script.

con2prt.exe – Map, delete, and set default printer | This is Helpful

If you are running Windows Server 2008, then you can push the driver out by Group Policy. Once you have the Group Policy setup, then you can test that Group Policy by jumping on a users computer and typing in "gpupdate /force" with out the quotation marks. If it works, then just get your users to restart their computers.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    Does this customer use a server and if so, what operating system is it running?

With Windows Server 2003, you could download and install "con2prt" which you can call from within a login script.

con2prt.exe – Map, delete, and set default printer | This is Helpful

If you are running Windows Server 2008, then you can push the driver out by Group Policy. Once you have the Group Policy setup, then you can test that Group Policy by jumping on a users computer and typing in "gpupdate /force" with out the quotation marks. If it works, then just get your users to restart their computers.
    Thanks for the info TheOwl, as it turned out they had a IT guy there when I turned up.

they did indeed have server 2008 and we pushed out the driver via Group Policy. But I will definately have a 'play' with the con2prt.

Thanks for the help and Info.
    The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

find the best way is a simple VB Script or GPO is the way to go. but you can see if the IT person is already running a script:
    \\servername\netlogon
    there might be a .bat file or a .VBS running you can always piggyback off an already running script.