Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

iRA C 2020 lost connectivity and cannot print or scan

Canon iRA C2020 lost connectivity (probably due to power issue but the customer did not confirm) and cannot print or scan. The machine was rebooting on its own and had an error E611-000, which I cleared ( COPIER > FUNCTION > CLEAR > FXTX-CLR ).

Now the machine can send and receive faxes but does not connect to the network, therefore the customer cannot print or scan to email. I cannot connect to the machine from my laptop using a crossover cable either. If I plug the network cable that goes to the machine to my laptop I have internet access, so the problem is not the network. From the machine I cannot ping the gateway, but I can ping successfully the loopback IP and the IP of the machine.

Changed the IP address of the machine, did a printer reset and a machine firmware upgrade with a USB stick but the problem is still the same ...

Any ideas, please?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by MFPTech; 05-02-2012 at 06:46 AM. Reason: More info

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: iRA C 2020 lost connectivity and cannot print or scan

can you connect to the machine using a crossover cable. or use a laptop and a switch to see if the problem is the machine or the network.

Adeptus Mechanicus Magos 500+ Posts

Hello,

From the info provided it sounds like the network card is fried. The machine will fax because it uses a different board to do this and you mention no problems with copying so will assume the rest of the machine is OK.

The fact you can get internet connection rules out a problem with the cable and as you have said the network, the fact you can't ping the gateway from the machine once again points to the NIC.

The only thing you can try is a NIC card from another machine if possible and see if that clears the problem.
    The impossible is easy - miracles take a little longer
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.

If I can ping the loopback address (127.0.0.1) of the machine from the machine itself it means that the NIC card should be okay.

Adeptus Mechanicus Magos 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MFPTech View Post
    If I can ping the loopback address (127.0.0.1) of the machine from the machine itself it means that the NIC card should be okay.
    From my understanding the loopback is handled by the main control board and the system software so you could be getting a false positive. The NIC basically handles the connection of the cable to the machine and to notify the machine that a cable is plugged in if the IP settings are in use. Else you can check to see if the left hand main board is properly connected or shows signs of dammage, as this is the board that handles the data for printing and scanning but also handles the image data for copying and faxing, so once again this may be unlikely.

That's why I sudgested trying a card from another machine before shelling out for a replacement, if it works we know that the card is at fault and you can either leave the replacement on the machine or it doesn't work and the problem lies deeper in the machine - which from the things you have already tried is unlikley, as redoing the system software and the lack of other problems with the fax and copying pretty much rules out the other components.

Re-reading your original post you said that you changed the IP address, I do take it correctly that you also changed the port on the print drivers of the computers / print server affected - daft question I know but I will admit i have done it myself
    All the best...
    The impossible is easy - miracles take a little longer
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late.

Service Manager 100+ Posts

Try doing a "Restore to Factory Default"

Check out this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
    Try doing a "Restore to Factory Default"

Check out this thread.
    I was going to do that but the customer does not want to lose any data. Will try another Main Controller (where the NIC is built in) and if that does not fix it I will tell the customer that I have no choice but to initilaze all data.

Thank you Chameleon.

Fixed this problem by replacing the Main Controller, which has also the built-in NIC

Thanks