Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Anyone care to try to explain this IP conundrum?

Might be time to tell them since they set up their own funky *ss system that is so abnormal from what 99.99% of other people do when setting up a network that they should figure it out for themselves...

...either that or you need to charge them some booookoe bucks per hour to figure it out for them.

Here's a few links for some valuable resources for your client:

Amazon.com: networking for dummies

Amazon.com: networking for dummies

Kronic Copier Ninja 100+ Posts kronical's Avatar
    Seems like this is being way too overcomplicated.
    If you are getting a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address then there is NO communication to any kind of DHCP server. If DHCP is on and unrestricted (as IT says) then there is a problem between the modem/router and the wireless router.
    Ignoring the wireless router for the time being, is the modem itself one of those cheap ass modems with wireless built in? You may have users pcs connecting wirelessly to the modem instead of the wireless router. Easy check, unplug the wireless routers power and see if the users are still online.
    If the wireless router is configures as an access point (Dhcp off) and the connection from the modem to the wireless is connected to the wan/internet port on the wireless, it will still act as a router with no dhcp. It MUST be connected to lan1 on the wireless. Also, many routers configured in switch/AP mode MUST have lan2 empty or it will revert back to routing mode with no dhcp and no incoming connection.

Just for reference, what is the MFD connected to, the modem or the wireless?

Personally I would unplug the wireless router power first to see if the users stay online or go down.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

kronical has a good point.

I know when I hooked up cable internet to the house they threw in a free cable modem with built in wireless and I threw it straight in the garbage can so I could use my traditional modem with wireless router and ethernet switches.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Anyone care to try to explain this IP conundrum?

Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    Might be time to tell them since they set up their own funky *ss system that is so abnormal from what 99.99% of other people do when setting up a network that they should figure it out for themselves...

...either that or you need to charge them some booookoe bucks per hour to figure it out for them.
    This is exactly where we've arrived. "Standard installation is totally covered on functioning networks. This is not a functioning network... "

Quote Originally Posted by kronical View Post
    Ignoring the wireless router for the time being, is the modem itself one of those cheap ass modems with wireless built in? You may have users pcs connecting wirelessly to the modem instead of the wireless router. Easy check, unplug the wireless routers power and see if the users are still online.
    If the wireless router is configures as an access point (Dhcp off) and the connection from the modem to the wireless is connected to the wan/internet port on the wireless, it will still act as a router with no dhcp. It MUST be connected to lan1 on the wireless. Also, many routers configured in switch/AP mode MUST have lan2 empty or it will revert back to routing mode with no dhcp and no incoming connection.

Just for reference, what is the MFD connected to, the modem or the wireless?

Personally I would unplug the wireless router power first to see if the users stay online or go down.
    I'm certain that the wireless clients are connecting via the wireless router, not the DSL modem. I accidentally shut it down for 10 minutes when somebody asked me when the network would be up again. As for cheapness, I can't really judge.

I didn't look at the port designations. Next time. Are you saying the plugging in a hard wired printer shuts down DHCP if it's plugged into the wrong port?

The MFP is plugged into the wireless router. I checked all available ports with the laptop, but got no usable connection from the other two available ports on the DSL modem. All four available ports on the wireless router react the same.

Does that clarify anything? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Does that clarify anything? =^..^=
    It clarifies that its F@#KED!!! LMAO
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Service Manager 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I did take a screen shot of the command prompt screen, since the wired results were so unlikely:

Attachment 16334 =^..^=
    nice screen shot! Your IP is 169.xxx and yet you get a reply from a 10.xxx without a gateway ip?

Did you try a tracert? type " tracert 10.0.0.3 "

That will give the route by which the ping is working. you can do " tracert -4 10.0.0.3 " or " tracert -6 10.0.0.3 " to force IP4 or IP6.

I imagine your laptop is using ip6 since your ip4 gateway is empty and the default ip4 address. But I don't think ip6 is native to xp, or it should have listed an ip6 with the ipconfig /all.

I'd imagine a "arp -g" will come back with nothing more than your laptop IP but it would still be worth running just to get some more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
    Did you try a tracert? type " tracert 10.0.0.3 "

I'd imagine a "arp -g" will come back with nothing more than your laptop IP but it would still be worth running just to get some more info.
    I don't think my Dell will do IPv6. can you explain the arp -g?

Neither of these commands are in my bag of tricks. =^..^=

Service Manager 100+ Posts

The ARP (address resolution protocol) command is similar to your netscan utility only it uses MAC addresses to resolve IP addresses. We used to use it setting up the old pocket print servers. You used an ARP "add" command to give the print server an ip which you could then use to connect to the web interface and from there enter everything else. But ARP -g will list all the physical (MAC) addresses it can see.

I kinda thought XP didn't have ip6 native, I'm just guessing they used ip6 to print to the old printer since the ip4 setup seems so screwy. I would be curious what the tracert command comes back with. Them using ip6 to print would explain why they can't see your laptop or the new printer, but you can somehow see the printer. Were they setup using a \\name\port to print? Ip6 ports use UNC similar to the old SMB ports. They just use a host name and port.

Quote Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
    ... I kinda thought XP didn't have ip6 native, I'm just guessing they used ip6 to print to the old printer since the ip4 setup seems so screwy. I would be curious what the tracert command comes back with. Them using ip6 to print would explain why they can't see your laptop or the new printer, but you can somehow see the printer. Were they setup using a \\name\port to print? Ip6 ports use UNC similar to the old SMB ports. They just use a host name and port.
    Nope. IPv4 port assigned as 10.0.0.3
    Nice try. =^..^=