Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Strange patch port problem

Hi all,

Had a really bizzare issue today which I thought someone could hopefully offer some insight on. 1 wall network socket to a brother printer = OK, continuous ping test = OK
    Now, a new Kyocera smart series went in today, no link lights at all with the same and different cables to that exact same port. Tested with a laptop to the port = no link lights but yet when that brother printer is connected, it's back on with no hiccups.
    WTF sequence of wires in the cabling would cause a singled out printer to recieve data but not anything else. Tried with crossover cables also with no success. I don't have the exact model of the printer but it's roughly 1 year old.

I tried changing port speed settings on the machine incase it wasn't auto detecting but nothing. Took a look at the settings on the brother but there was really nothing out of the ordinary that was switched on.

DHCP turned on and off with a static. Well settings on the Kyocera wasn't an issue because once plugged into a workstations port it was fine.

It has to be some kind of cabling setup but again, not sure why it would work for this one device.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Strange patch port problem

We were having this conversation last week. On some networks DHCP is turned off, thusly won't pick up an address. Another possibility is that the customer's IT is maintaining a list of MAC addresses that can communicate on the network. Any network interface that their MAC address is not listed will not be allowed to communicate.

Most likely you'll need the participation of the customers IT person to get your connection. To be sure, I'd connect my laptop via crossover to confirm that your MFP is communicating properly.

This is really more in the way of Owl's expertise. I'm sure he can provide much more supporting detail. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Definitely sounds like an issue of MAC registration. A lot of companies, and government, are going to this route as a way of keeping private devices off their network. Check with the customer's IT department and ask them if the MAC needs to be registered for network access. Also be sure to ask if they need any services (SNMP, AppleTalk, etc.) turned off for compliance.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I had this same kind of thing when a machines board was changed thus changing the MAC address. Took alot of phone calls and pestering IT but got there in the end.

Technician

If mac filtering was enabled I would have imagined you would still get some kind of link light though. Then again, I've never really used or come across much mac or ip filtering setups.

The machine ended up being connected via another patch port which was fine, so it's that single port. It's not really overly technical the setup as theyre running through a 10 port netgear switch to a Belkin router.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

Could have been a dodgy port in the switch which was looking for something particular from the NIC to create the link successfully.

Good find with the port issue on the switch.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.