Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts Dustin(WOP)'s Avatar

2 networks printing and scanning

I have an issue with one of my clients connected to 2 networks at once. If you open a cmd prompt and do an ipconfig /all you get a vpn ip 10.0.x.x and a local area connection 192.168.x.x. if you are connected to vpn the print function will not work, and the network scanner tool keeps pulling the 10.0.x.x network instead of the 192.168.x.x network so I am constantly getting calls that scanning is not working.
    I think I can get around the scanning by scanning direct to email but the customer wants the ocr function. Has anyone ever ran into this and know a work around or a fix?thanks for ANY input on this.

Re: 2 networks printing and scanning

Is it possible to have a static IP address on the 192.168.x.x network? If so then use IP address only in the advanced scanner settings in NST. Temporaraly disable the VPN connection. Also right click on the NST icon in system tray and uncheck auto update. Update the profile then look at it in the address bok via web browser and see if correct address is obtained. If so turn back on VPN connection. By having auto update unchecked it should not change the profile.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Dustin(WOP)'s Avatar
    That's is a good idea. I think I can do that without a problem. However, does anyone have any ideas on printing?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

If you truly have two isolated networks, I have heard of two different ways around this:

First is to add an additional Network Interface Card to the MFP. If you don't have that option you can install a TCP/IP to USB print server to use the USB port as your second network connection.

The second possibility is to have the customers IT provide a connection path on the router. Someone here with more network expertise can provide more detail. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar

When working with vpn's you have to have the server you are logining to connect to your printer. Otherwise you have to disconnect to see your network.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

Better VPN security normally does segregate your PC from the local network that you are attached to. The idea behind this is that once a PC has made a VPN connection, the other PC's on the network could technically use that PC as a gateway into the connected network. This creates a security risk which IT Network Administrators obviously plug shut.

If you are using something like a CISCO VPN client or similar, then you can't attack the problem head on, because the IT people won't change the rules on the VPN connection.

The easiest way around the issue is to print and scan via a USB cable if your machine supports it. The other way around it is to setup a direct VPN from your router which esentually creates a WAN, but this is much more difficult to do.

If you keep getting service calls logged for the machine because a user is connected to the VPN, then just charge for every trip you make out there. Soon enough they will get sick of paying bills for some one just to drive out and say "You're connected to the VPN so no you can't".
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.