Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wingo033

Ricoh Aficio 3500 - Scan Folder & Connectivity Issues

Hi guys, I'm having some trouble with my Ricoh Aficio MP 3500 and I hope someone can offer some help.

I've been in the process of setting up scan folders for about 30 different employees. I create a new program, browse the network, select the appropriate user, and then the appropriate shared folder on that user's PC. It's been working fine for the most part, however I have run into an issue with one of the computers.

When setting up a scan folder, the user must have a username and password for the printer to connect with that PC. With this one problem computer, I type in the correct username and the correct password and after pressing login, it endlessly keeps prompting me for the username and password that I already typed in!

This computer runs the same operating system as the rest, Windows 7. There is nothing atypical about the computer or any obvious reasons why this particular computer is giving me trouble

I hope someone can help me, I'd really appreciate it

thanks!
    Ryan

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Ricoh Aficio 3500 - Scan Folder & Connectivity Issues

Sounds like password protected sharing may be turned on in the computer's Network and Sharing Settings. Take a look and compare all of the advanced sharing settings of the machine at issue with one that you know works. More than likely it's a simple setting you'll need to change.

wingo033

Well, I could turn off password protected sharing but then more people than I'd like would be able to access the shared folder (which is meant to only be shared between each particular PC and the Ricoh). For the record, turning password protected sharing off DOES allow the scans to go through to the PC, but every other PC I have set up has it enabled and it doesn't prevent the scan folders from working.

I guess my question is - how can I get this to work with password protected sharing enabled?

and why is it not working with it enabled on this particular PC?

thanks!
    Ryan

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Since password protected sharing is on, is there anything configured in the address book entry for authentication to the shared folder on the computer? Since the account used to access the computer must exist locally on the machine you may want to double check that the user name and password that should allow access can log into the machine correctly. Are the computers in a workgroup, or a domain?

wingo033

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Since password protected sharing is on, is there anything configured in the address book entry for authentication to the shared folder on the computer? Since the account used to access the computer must exist locally on the machine you may want to double check that the user name and password that should allow access can log into the machine correctly. Are the computers in a workgroup, or a domain?
    The settings are identical to every other working user profile that exists in the machine, and like I said they're all running the same operating system so nothing should really be different. The computers are in a workgroup - I cannot figure this out!

just one copy?? 500+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio 3500 - Scan Folder & Connectivity Issues

I'm not an IT guy but have been thrown in the deep end many times. Have you tried using an IP address rather than the computer name? Also have seen MFD's with different sub-net masks to the PC unable to scan to folder but can still print.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Technician

First, try putting the scan folder in the Public folder. It has the simpleist security.

An issue I have run into more than once. Customer sets up a computer with one user name, (John) then changes thier user name (Jim). When this happens the credentials are "broken" and smb username/pass will not work right. To test this, create a new local user on that pc. Ensure this new user has permissions to the folder, and try to scan using this username. I have not found any workaround for this username issue.

Technician

Have you tried just browsing the exact shared network path? \\computer-name\scans so enter that or whatever the shared path name is into the folder path and press browse see if your login details work then. things to check, right click the shared folder make sure the user account you are using has read/write access, make sure permissions are on allow and not deny (advanced settings in sharing). also can you browse that network path from another computer on the network start \\computer-name\scans. Cause you are getting to the point of asking username/pass you're network settings are more then likely fine. Its just a matter of permissions to that shared folder seen as password protection is on. if you need more help i can send some screen shots of what/where you should be looking.

Quote Originally Posted by alp View Post
    First, try putting the scan folder in the Public folder. It has the simpleist security.

An issue I have run into more than once. Customer sets up a computer with one user name, (John) then changes thier user name (Jim). When this happens the credentials are "broken" and smb username/pass will not work right. To test this, create a new local user on that pc. Ensure this new user has permissions to the folder, and try to scan using this username. I have not found any workaround for this username issue.
    Definitely take a look at this. It drove me out of my mind one day. I did notice, however, that the credentials were not broken but simply used the username of the user prior to the username change. What I do now is look in C:\Users and check the folder names. Even if a user changes their name the folder will remain the same name as the original username.
    “You pigs, you. You rut like pigs, is all. You got the most in you, and you use the least. You hear me, you? Got a million in you and spend pennies. Got a genius in you and think crazies. Got a heart in you and feel empties. All a you. Every you...'

Service Manager 100+ Posts

Sounds like very much like a symptom of a user not being given "Modify" or "Write" access to the Shared Folder. Right click on the shared folder and click Security" tab and check that the user isn't just given read permissions. Win 7 doesn't give users rights by default and they need added under the security tab.