Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MAC OS X 10.8 SMB/FTP Scanning

Hi Guys

Can anyone help me with this. I'm having no joy setting up scanning to a shared folder on a MAC 10.8 from a Canon iRC1028.... the same copier scans fine to a Windows 7 Box. In the interim I've created a second share on the Windows 7 box and i've created a shortcut on the Mac to this folder. Also, I noticed that there is no FTP on the MAC??? is this normal? can it be activated somehow? Is there a mini FTP Servlet that can be downloaded?

I dont Deal with Macs too often. 99.9% of my customers are Windows based. The Macs that i have, havent given me any headaches with regard to scanning. This is the first Mountain Lion Mac that I have and I've heard from other Techs that they experience the same issue. Appreciate any help or suggestions

Thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

Re: MAC OS X 10.8 SMB/FTP Scanning

I'm still trying to get this to work properly on our shop 10.8. Have it setup perfect on our other MAC 10.6.8 but we upgraded this MAC from 10.7 (which worked just fine) to 10.8 which hasn't worked since. We have shared everything including the entire computer but it will not work! 10.8 requires a username/password combination everytime you access a shared folder no matter how you set the folder up. Called Apple and spent over an hour on the phone talking with their "tech" and he said you would need to contact you OEM provider (in our case Sharp, we are the provider by the way) for resolution! My boss is very dissappointed with them at the moment! Would like to know if you find any type of solution.

Good luck.

Bil

PS I can access the shared folder from our other computers but it still requires a user name and password everytime I try to access. From both a MAC and Windows computers.

Still no joy I'm afraid. I'm not so certain if my problem is the username and password, because this is saved as part of the address book entry on the MFD, along with the IP Address of the Mac and the sharename of the folder. Unfortunately I haven't had much opportunity to play with this because this customer is a good 100 miles away from me, so everytime i have something to try i do it via a teamviewer session, which makes it difficult and time consuming. BUT if i do manage to figure this out you'll be the first to know.

Mac OSX >= 7 uses a proprietary (i.e. closed source) version of SMB developed by Apple, instead of the usual Samba / SMB that Mac OSX < 7 and Windows uses. (It removes SMB over NetBIOS for one, which a lot of equipement use, and changes the port.) You can re-enable SMB by downloading SMBUp.

See: http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/ri...tml#post322532 and http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/ky...tml#post332905

You may need a firmware update to scan without any modifications to Mac, if such an update is ever produced or released.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Like always, Apple has made changes to their Samba implementation. More than likely, you'll need a firmware upgrade for the machine similar to what people have needed for Windows 8.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Tell me if I'm repeating this correctly:

On 10.8 OS and up SMB2 is not available. There is a utility called SMBup that adds SMB2 to these OS. It can be tricky though. See other threads on this topic.
    Download SMBUp for Mac - Reinstate and manage Samba on OS X 10.7 Lion. MacUpdate.com

I haven't done it myself but gleaned this much from the current threads.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar

I will have to find a way to get screen shots.

I have set this up on several Km boxes. I have an account that has 3 different KM machines and all scan via smb to 2 different mac 10.8 boxes. It took 3 days before I got it working then just did the same steps on both macs.
    Also there is a built in ftp in mac 10.8 but you have to drop to a command line to implement it. (I do not know how but google it and you should find it.) Also the username/password is the only login that can open the file once scanned to the macs. Will this work on canon machines I do not know.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

You may need a firmware update to scan without any modifications to Mac, if such an update is ever produced or released.
    Recent update to MAC 10.8.x now allows access to shared folder without login but still no joy on scanning to shared folder (only tried to setup for about 1/2 hour so didn't really give myself much time for troubleshooting). My boss said she will just use her iphone or her ipad which both work just fine!!!!

Bil

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hi SMB Scanning is not supported on 10.8

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I haven't had a single 10.8 customer ask me about scanning yet, but I did a bunch on 10.7. If the firmware updates don't resolve SMB scanning, I'd use FTP.

On MAC 10.7 I went to Terminal (Finder/ search Terminal) and entered
    "sudo -s launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ftp.plist" (leave out the "s) to enable FTP. I got this from the MAC support site and it worked just fine.

Of course 10.8 may be different, but there should be directions on how to enable FTP on the MAC site.
    Last edited by techsass; 05-25-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: put the "sudo..." path on 1 line