Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Printing Defaults not Replicating to Clients

Hi, i am having a problem with the above.

We install a printer driver on server 2003 for the Konica c220 and set the printing defaults to grey scale.

then i connect to this shared printer. but the grey scale defaults are not set like they have been on the server.

has anyone got any ideas what might be causing this. ive installed and shared drivers many times with defaults before but this one isnt playing ball for me?

Thanks

Re: Printing Defaults not Replicating to Clients

I have never seen color machines that were shared have the default be B/W and the default be shared out to clients. As far as I can tell printing preferences always are open to each client.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I have had success with setting both the Printer Preferences and the Printing Defaults under Advanced. Also, if the server is 32bit and the clients are 64bit, you will need to use the Universal Print Driver to push the profile down correctly.(At least with Ricohs)

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseface2r View Post
    Hi, i am having a problem with the above.

We install a printer driver on server 2003 for the Konica c220 and set the printing defaults to grey scale.

then i connect to this shared printer. but the grey scale defaults are not set like they have been on the server.

has anyone got any ideas what might be causing this. ive installed and shared drivers many times with defaults before but this one isnt playing ball for me?

Thanks
    Exactly where are you setting the defaults? Through Printing Preferences or through the Printer Properties' Advanced tab? If you use the Printer Properties' Advanced tab and click the Printing Defaults... button, make the settings there and it should hopefully transfer those settings.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Ceechtay View Post
    Exactly where are you setting the defaults? Through Printing Preferences or through the Printer Properties' Advanced tab? If you use the Printer Properties' Advanced tab and click the Printing Defaults... button, make the settings there and it should hopefully transfer those settings.
    This is definitely the correct method to get b/w defaulted on the clients. I've had instances where the default only translated to new connections, meaning you may have to delete the printer from the client and reconnect it to the share.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

Just of late, this seems to be an issue with Konica Minolta print drivers.

I don't know what they are doing different, but this issue is also happening on other Konica Minolta models as well.

In some cases, I have had success with a different version of print driver.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    Just of late, this seems to be an issue with Konica Minolta print drivers.

I don't know what they are doing different, but this issue is also happening on other Konica Minolta models as well.

In some cases, I have had success with a different version of print driver.

I know this is an old thread but I'm having this exact problem when I recently upgraded the driver on our KM-C454e. I've tried just about everything I can think of including installing the old driver... which of course is also exhibiting the same issues now. Did you ever find a solution?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by symtech View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I'm having this exact problem when I recently upgraded the driver on our KM-C454e. I've tried just about everything I can think of including installing the old driver... which of course is also exhibiting the same issues now. Did you ever find a solution?
    What OS are you installing the driver on? Win10 and Server 2012 on have a protection built in that prohibits changing core system files unless you right click on the driver install program and choose "run as administrator" [even if you have admin rights]. It will ignore changes to dll files and registry entries unless you do this. Try un-installing the driver and re-installing using the run as administrator using an admin account and see if that does not help.

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    What OS are you installing the driver on? Win10 and Server 2012 on have a protection built in that prohibits changing core system files unless you right click on the driver install program and choose "run as administrator" [even if you have admin rights]. It will ignore changes to dll files and registry entries unless you do this. Try un-installing the driver and re-installing using the run as administrator using an admin account and see if that does not help.
    Thanks so much for replying.

Yes. I'm running Server 2012 with Win10 clients. Unfortunately the latest driver for the Bizhub c454e does not include the Printer Installation program. It's just the driver itself. I installed it through Server 2012's Print Management. When we got the machines 6 months ago and installed the old driver... everything worked fine. It wasn't until I recently updated the driver that the issue has presented itself... and now even rolling back to the old driver does the same thing now. So frustrating.

Although I couldn't try your recommendation I appreciate you taking the time to try and help anyway.

Thanks again.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

OK, so you had to use the add print function in the server. After you installed the print driver did you right click on it and select run as administrator, then select properties and set the defaults there? The same rational applies. If the old print driver was installed a while ago, the WinServer updates would not affect the files already installed, but would any new driver files. Even a WinServer 2008 R2 install with all the updates will exhibit this problem. It is worth a shot.